Power & Source of Big Ideas

Nano Pi 2 won't boot and overheat

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hi,

My Nano Pi 2 won't boot.
It only shows FriendlyARM... and it restarts over and over
And now it overheats every time it's plugged into power source

Anyone have same issue or solution for this condition?
What TF card did you use and what power supply did you use?
i get this problem only if i corrupt sd card OS image. All you need to do if the image is corrupt is rewrite it to sd card, and make frequent backups...
Posting the contents of bootargs and the bootup messages might provide insight.
- What TF card did you use and what power supply did you use?

Sony class 10
I used 2A wall charger, 2A powerbank, laptop usb,

- i get this problem only if i corrupt sd card OS image. All you need to do if the image is corrupt is rewrite it to sd card, and make frequent backups...

I've tried debian, ubuntu, and android images but the problem exists even without the card plugged in

- Posting the contents of bootargs and the bootup messages might provide insight.

i can't get the psu-onecom for debugging yet

do you think it's h/w problem?

the seller agreed to replace if it's h/w problem
If the NanoPi2 did NOT overheat before when it was continually rebooting and now it does then I would say the unit is damaged.

The similar thing happened to my NanoPC-T1... it would run for a few minutes, then overheat and reboot. This only happened a few times then it died.

Watching what happens when these boards are booting up is VERY useful. I think that everyone developing on these boards needs a something like the PSU-ONECOM ... or you are just "poking around in the dark".
The NPi 2 does get very hot, with use, but not usually at boot up, I fitted a small heat sink on mine just out of paranoia, rather than any issues I might have. Its really not a bad thing to do on any board which has hot chips, they will last that little bit longer for a tiny investment.

The sticking at the credit screen is basically the problem I was having with one particular bad SD card I had.
I have had a few issues with units when using bad/cheap/fake TF cards, even though you are pretty sure your card is good, there are a lot of fakes around, try another, one that you know was bought at full price. and make sure you test it before you burn it.

2A's is plenty of power for it, is it a wart that has its own micro usb cable out? If its a usb plug in, I have found those to be very unreliable, also what do you have plugged into the USB, I don't think it has a very high tolerance for multiple units on a hub which can drain the power to the board and cause a freeze/reset.

But really, it could be anything, the chip does get hot, but can operate at quite high temps,I don't know the actual max temp, but as a rule, if you can't touch it, then its certainly overheating, and if that happens at boot, its almost certainly faulty, as it should take a good minute or 2 for it to get uncomfortable to the touch.

If in doubt, send it back.
You may try a heat sink like this:
http://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?ro ... uct_id=128
Dear Friendly ARM Tech Support
I have a similar problem with one the nano pi M2 boards. after plugging the power , only the green LED is on and blue LED ,which is code executing blinker , does not blink at all. and the board does not boot.
I have used HD-HC TF cards and 2 ampers charger and HDMI to VGA converter with a set of USB keyboard and mouse.

I also should mention that I have reached this problem for the first time and not seen before.

Thanks
Hi could you post the system messages? It would be of great help if we can get system messages which give us details about almost every step in system booting.
Hi
Sorry for the late reply.
About the faulted board , there is no system message after power up. seems that bootloader has problem.
I test my USB2UART adapter with another board to make sure it is correct and it works properly with other
boards. The baud rate i detected was 115kbps for system debugging UART.
So the board is really faulted!