Power & Source of Big Ideas

Nano Pi M3 does not boot

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hi can you help me with a strange problem

I just received my M3 today and after burning the latest version of the Debian build to an 8GB class 10 card, and inserting it, I find the M3 does not boot
The red and blue light comes on, and I get either a rainbow pattern on screen, or a Friendly Arm logo screen, sometimes corrupt.

I tried pressing and holding the pwr and reset buttons in different combinations but aside from a message on the rainbow screen saying waiting for update I got no further

Please help
edit....I changed the SD card, and it now boots...1st rule of new hardware...check the SD card :D
As usual though, the delay in finding an IP address holds up the boot.

But its up and running now, in 720p, I wish you guys would supply a 1080 build as well, not all of us know how to make new versions of lunux
Did you change /etc/interfaces to:

eth0 .... ..... static

There is another way to do this but this sorts the problem for me.
No, for reasons that are related to the project I am working on, I make no changes at all to the supplised OS's I run them exactly as supplied, apart from doing an upate and updagrade on them

Its actually all fine now, as with most Nano's make sure its connected to the network before you turn it on and its fine. No network though it can take a whil to boot

I'm quite pleased with it, I bought a cooling kit too and it stays very very cool indeed, can' twait to try out my projects on it and see how it compares to other octocores. But I am frustrated by not being able to run at 1080p and no idea how to get sound out of the HDMI
Brian Beuken wrote:
No, for reasons that are related to the project I am working on, I make no changes at all to the supplised OS's I run them exactly as supplied, apart from doing an upate and updagrade on them

Its actually all fine now, as with most Nano's make sure its connected to the network before you turn it on and its fine. No network though it can take a whil to boot

I'm quite pleased with it, I bought a cooling kit too and it stays very very cool indeed, can' twait to try out my projects on it and see how it compares to other octocores. But I am frustrated by not being able to run at 1080p and no idea how to get sound out of the HDMI

Hi,
Our default Debian image for the NanoPi M3 doesn't support audio output. If you want to enable this function you need to install the alsa package.

Make sure your Debian OS is our latest version and your board has access to the internet;
 Power up your board and run the following commands on your board's commandline utility to install the alsa package:
apt-get update
apt-get install libasound2
apt-get install alsa-base
apt-get install alsa-utilsAfter the installation is done copy a ".wav" audio file to your NanoPi M3, connect your M3 to a earphone or speaker and try playing this audio file(By default Debian's audio output is from the 3.5mm audio jack):
aplay music.wavBy default Debian's audio output is from the 3.5mm audio jack. If you want audio output from the HDMI you need to change the setting by editing the "/etc/asound.conf" file:
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 1
device 0}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 1}card 0 stands for the 3.5mm audio jack and card 1 stands for the HDMI audio. After you make your change reboot your board to make it effective.

thank you!