Power & Source of Big Ideas

Core6818 info?

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

I'm interested in the Core6818 board, but there is no wiki entry and no links to bootloaders or linux/android distros. Is it "close enough" to the M3 that it can use the software for that board? Is the GPIO layout the same?

It's a bit odd that a company like friendlyelec which is usually so good about documenting their products still has nothing online that I can find for this board which seems to have been out for over a year.
There is a wiki entry for Core4418 and the boards seem to be similar from a GPIO perspective. I have ordered 2 and I'm waiting for them to arrive. I will let you know if I see any differences.

I am also a little confused about the distros as I could not find any dedicated DTS for Core4418 or Core6818 in the FriendlyArm linux fork. I will need to configure a custom kernel as I need to activate a number of drivers for the project I have.

It would be nice if someone at FriendlyArm takes notice of this and posts some wiki pages like the ones for Fire range.
sonel wrote:
It would be nice if someone at FriendlyArm takes notice of this and posts some wiki pages like the ones for Fire range.

Good luck with that. Even when you have a commercial project and email their support direct, they don't bother to respond to you. Poor customer service.
v8dave wrote:
sonel wrote:
Poor customer service.

Is it?

I am among few people that provide free support (I pay from my own pocket to save "you" days-weeks-months of your time and you give virtually nothing in return) for Armbian "customers" and people also (dare to) contact me directly all the time. 99% of questions are pure abuse and has nothing to do with our work: we didn't design hardware but "you" asks us to read it out for you, nor we made most of the open source packages that are part of the system but you have questions around them, nor we provide free "Linux" problem solving ... If I would answer on all / deal with request this would represent 24/7 just answering emails which is insane, crazy and impossible.

How is commercial project different then home when you seek free support? None.

How far support from hardware makers should go? No idea, but certainly it has to be limited. Not in their shoes.
igorp wrote:
How is commercial project different then home when you seek free support? None.

I am not seeking for free support. I have already done the hard work to get something working with one of the FA boards and all I am asking for is for them to support a pre-built binary for me. It would take one of their engineers no more than 5 mins of their time to do this for me.

I would then have a fully working solution and continue to purchase many more of the FA boards.

I agree in principle with what you are saying, but in my case, all the hard work has been done by myself, including building a custom version of Android and adding the missing stuff to the kernel. I even offered FA the schematic of my design in return for the 1 small BINARY file but so far they have not replied. That I consider poor "customer' service.

PS. I to operate a company that provides free support and I give this based on them purchasing hardware from me. I have also done free support on this forum too. ;)
v8dave wrote:
support a pre-built binary for me.

v8dave wrote:
That I consider poor "customer' service.

Agree.

In open source there is no such thing as a binary blob ;) But I can imagine frustrating of such situation.

v8dave wrote:
I would then have a fully working solution and continue to purchase many more of the FA boards.

I guess other 99% of customers helps to kill possibility for such (anyway limited) support? Also don't know if profit margins are high enough.

We don't sale any hardware but among request people are convincing us they will buy hardware in case we will support them (in advance) and I have to explain to them that I don't care whether they will buy one board or 10 millions of them. If they want something from me, those are conditions: ... or we don't do any business. This is the way to loose people(majority) which doesn't understand the principle of free software.

v8dave wrote:
PS. I to operate a company that provides free support and I give this based on them purchasing hardware from me. I have also done free support on this forum too. ;)

If you sell them solution its possible to provide support. Solo on hardware re-sale ... not sure if.