Power & Source of Big Ideas

LVDS pin layout and compatibility with INNOLUX displays?

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

I own a EJ070NA-01J LCD screen (By CHIMEI INNOLUX). It has a 40-pin 1 channel, 6/8bit interface. I'm looking to order a NanoPi M3 which sports a 20-pin LVDS header. I don't know much about how LVDS actually works, other than that it's a uses a high clock rate and some preset amount of channels.

I'm looking at this adapter to hook the NanoPi M3 to the display. Looking at the cable, and pins of that board in particular, they line up with the pins of the LVDS header on the NanoPi. So the setup would be NanoPi -> Adapter -> LCD, with the extra pins of the LCD being handled by the adapter (ie Inverter power, etc).

Question 1: Where can I find more information about how the LVDS header works on the NanoPi? Does the NanoPi support 6/8bit, single channel LVDS?
Question 2: Will the LVDS signals generated by the board be compatible with the LCD? Is it configurable?
If you want to use LVDS display,you need clone our kernel source coed to compile.
a. First you should change kernel configuration to open lvds interface:
make menuconfig
Device Drivers --->
Graphics support --->
Nexell Graphics --->
[*] LVDS
(0) Display In [0=Display 0, 1=Display 1]
b. After doing above steps,if the board doesn't detect lvds display,you can modify uboot source code,such as you can check/proc/cmdline file which includes lcd=HDMIxxx .
c. There should be display something after opening kernel configuration of LVDS,but you need to modify arch/arm/plat-s5p6818/nanopi3/lcds.c to add LCD timing configuration .
d. Actually we didn't test lvds display under uboot.
e. If the board cannot detect display's type,you need do these steps:
1. You need to modify uboot to make it notice kernel correct LCD type;

2. Or you can modify kernel source code lcds.c,forced LCD models,that is to say you need to make sure LCD timing is correctly.
Hi Semaphor,
Did you get your lvds display working ? If yes, could you give me the steps to do that please ?
Thanks,
JonathanCCC wrote:
Hi Semaphor,
Did you get your lvds display working ? If yes, could you give me the steps to do that please ?
Thanks,

Hi JonathanCCC. My board and adapter just arrived and I have only done a basic test. I know that a Stock DietPi image works via HDMI, but not LVDS out-of-the-box. So a custom kernel is needed as previously mentioned.
I got the LVDS output working with my screen. Like jjm said above, you need to compile your own u-boot and kernel and enable LVDS. You also need to add in your own screen timings. I used a PBC800182 LVDS converter board I got from aliexpress to bridge the connection from the screen to the LVDS pins on the board.

One thing I noticed was that the LVDS output was independent of whether you use the LCD or HDMI image builds. During resolution detection by the kernel, once it is unable to detect the LCD screen, it defaults to HDMI using a hardcoded default resolution. As far as I can see, there is no way to poll the screen using LVDS to detect the screen size. SO you must hardcode your screen details.