Power & Source of Big Ideas

Non-usb power supply for board?

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Is it possible to power the NanoPi M3 without the use of the USB cable? For example, the UART has a VDD_5V pin, could this sustain the board's power?

The wiki states "VDD_5V: 5V power input/output", which makes me think it can be used to power the board?
Hi
Yes,you can use this way!

Thansk!
I can confirm that this works. I need the USB port for debugging Android so I power the board from the GPIO pins.

Make sure your cable is heavy enough to carry the 1amp or so of current that it draws on power up (with LCD 4.3) otherwise you will get a low voltage at the input and the board will shutdown.
Good evening!

I have a NanoPC-T3 drive and I intend to put it inside a dreamcast shell case and mount a mini PC for gaming using the Android OS.
I intend to use the dreamcast's own source using the 5v and GND outputs that the source has.
My doubts are:
1- What are the GPIO pins that I have to turn on in the NanoPC-T3 to work?
2 - The NanoPC-T3 has a few pins of PWR, Reset and LED for connection, if I put in these pins the buttons to turn on and reset they will work in place of the buttons that the own plate already has?

Thank you in advance for the help.
Be aware that you lose the fuse protection that is present on most Nano boards doing this.

Look at the schematic and see what the fuse value and type is and put your own fuse in series with your external supply.
davef wrote:
Be aware that you lose the fuse protection that is present on most Nano boards doing this.

Look at the schematic and see what the fuse value and type is and put your own fuse in series with your external supply.

Sorry but I did not understand the problem
My intention is to connect the NanoPC-T3 using the source of the dreamcast, this source I already know that it has the voltage of 5v that the NanoPC-T3 needs, but the current will be 5.5A, a little above the necessary for the NanoPC- T3, but it will only use the 3A required.
I looked at the overview provided by Friendlyarm and could not identify which pins are needed to connect to the NanoPC-T3.

If anyone can tell me which pins they are, I thank them.

Thank you,
Romsonline
Look at the GPIO connector. The pins are marked on that. Pins 29 and 30.

Be aware that using a long ribbon cable will cause a voltage drop at the T3. You may read 5V at your input but it can be as low as 4.7 at the T3 due to voltage drop and it does not like this. I saw this with an M3 I powered from a 10cm cable. I ended up having to cut this down to max 2cm and use thicker wire to ensure the current drawn did not cause the drop.

Another place to power the board is from the UART debug connector.

As davef said, put a fuse in this line to protect the T3 as powering this way bypasses the protection on the board.
v8dave wrote:
Look at the GPIO connector. The pins are marked on that. Pins 29 and 30.

Be aware that using a long ribbon cable will cause a voltage drop at the T3. You may read 5V at your input but it can be as low as 4.7 at the T3 due to voltage drop and it does not like this. I saw this with an M3 I powered from a 10cm cable. I ended up having to cut this down to max 2cm and use thicker wire to ensure the current drawn did not cause the drop.

Another place to power the board is from the UART debug connector.

As davef said, put a fuse in this line to protect the T3 as powering this way bypasses the protection on the board.

Thank you for your help