Hello, I've been working on creating a touch-based UI with the NanoPi 2 Fire and compatible 7" touchscreen, with the Kivy UI framework, which uses OpenGL ES2.0 for rendering. Using the Mesa Project software implementation of OpenGL ES2.0 (libgles2-mesa-dev), Kivy runs but it is unacceptably slow. From what I've read on the forums and elsewhere online, this is my understanding:

- The CPU on NanoPi 2 Fire is a Samsung S5P4418, an ARM Cortex-A9 with a Mali-400MP GPU, which supports OpenGL ES1.1 and ES2.0.
- The Debian build for NanoPi 2 Fire does not come with drivers for the Mali GPU.
- In theory, hardware acceleration is possible for this CPU, but Samsung hasn't been great at providing information or support on how to do it.
- OpenGL ES2.0 support exists for some other Mali GPUs. Here is an example (https://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/1420-opengl-on-mali-gpu-bananapi-orangepi-pc-etc/), but this solution appears to be specific to Allwinner CPUs, so is unlikely to work for Samsung CPUs.

I haven't tried the Android distro yet. Does anybody know if there is OpenGL ES2.0 hardware acceleration on Android?
Has there been any progress with hardware acceleration on NanoPi hardware?

If not, I will have to start looking for alternative python UI frameworks, or other SBC's and compatible touchscreens to continue development on. Any suggestions in that direction are appreciated as well. Thanks!