Power & Source of Big Ideas

NEO Plus2 with kernel 4.14

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

If anyone interested in kernel 4.14 for the NanoPi NEO/ NEO Plus2 i have managed to get a working build with Wifi, Gbps and eMMC fully functional. I need to workout BT but i think the problem is on my side so is possible to make it work. As soon as i get BT working i can share an Image.

Kernel log: https://gist.github.com/avafinger/3a392 ... fe3b351e40
A nice good looking boot (13.5 secs), BT is loaded, now need a way to talk to a device.

https://gist.github.com/avafinger/9e363 ... 4e74a748d8
Hi,
Im interested, can you build with modules which are need for 3G/LTE modems and which is needed to PPP?
Robi
Sure i can try, can you please tell which 3G/LTE modules are needed? I will enable USB mobile broadband and PPP support.
In the make menuconfig-> device drivers -> usb support -> "USB modem support"
and under the USB serial converter support most of them as modules.
This is a 8GB ubuntu-minimal-image with kernel 4.14.3 configured as you asked for.
You need to add the required packages to Dial to your 3G (wdial, pppd, etc..).

user: ubuntu
pasw: ubuntu

Wifi connection
================

WPA_SUPPLICANT is used to connect Wifi to AP, please edit the file /etc/network/interfaces and uncomment the line
# wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf and provide your ssid and password (WPA) in the file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

interfaces
==========

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
##allow-hotplug eth0
##no-auto-down eth0
##iface eth0 inet static
##address 192.168.0.100
##netmask 255.255.0.0
##gateway 192.168.254.254
##dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
# wpa-ssid "YOUR_SSID"
# wpa-psk "YOUR_PLAIN_TEXT_PASSWORD"
#address 192.168.254.55
#netmask 255.255.0.0
#gateway 192.168.254.254
#dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
#wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
# Disable power saving on compatible chipsets (prevents SSH/connection dropouts over WiFi)
#wireless-mode Managed
#wireless-power off

wpa_supplicant.conf
===================

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa-supplicant
ap_scan=1
network={
ssid="YOUR_SSID"
scan_ssid=1
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
psk="YOUR_PLAIN_TEXT_PASSWORD"
}

3G connection
=============
To setup your 3G network you possibly will need to install networkmanager, usbutils, usb_modeswith, pppd and wvdial since the goal of this OS Image is to have the bare minimum packages installed.
Add the packages as you need.

7zip file is here: https://mega.nz/#!NXJGATpA!PcoGNW5Jv4oy ... wVAdc1sDYE

I would like to ask you to share your progress and setup, thanks.
Just a little reminder, if you plan to use Wifi , add a sane value to timeout in the file /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf or you will have to wait for the 5 min timeout to connect wifi to you AP if there is no ethernet cable connected.

change: 500 to 15 that seems to be reasonable or redo the wifi and network setup to be both hotplug.
Hi,
The base kernel dont have usbserial , fusion, ppp and other modules wich need to connect the internet with LTE/3G modem. Im configured the usb_modeswitch, but it cant load the option module with the base kernel.
Im compiled an own kernel with the necessary modules(compiled just only the modules) for the usb modem and with the ppp modules but dont enabled enough important module to start the internet. I can send you my kernel config file for 4.11 kernel, maybe can find out what is missed.
Maybe faster if we use email, my is: jrobi772 at g m a il dot com
hmm..., they are there compiled as modules:

find /media/alex/rootfs/lib/modules/4.14.3-h5 -name *ppp*.ko
/media/alex/rootfs/lib/modules/4.14.3-h5/kernel/drivers/net/ppp/ppp_deflate.ko
/media/alex/rootfs/lib/modules/4.14.3-h5/kernel/drivers/net/ppp/pppox.ko
/media/alex/rootfs/lib/modules/4.14.3-h5/kernel/drivers/net/ppp/ppp_generic.ko
/media/alex/rootfs/lib/modules/4.14.3-h5/kernel/drivers/net/ppp/ppp_async.ko
/media/alex/rootfs/lib/modules/4.14.3-h5/kernel/drivers/net/ppp/pppoe.ko
/media/alex/rootfs/lib/modules/4.14.3-h5/kernel/drivers/media/rc/serial_ir.ko
/media/alex/rootfs/lib/modules/4.14.3-h5/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/qcserial.ko
/media/alex/rootfs/lib/modules/4.14.3-h5/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial-simple.ko
/media/alex/rootfs/lib/modules/4.14.3-h5/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.ko
/media/alex/rootfs/lib/modules/4.14.3-h5/kernel/drivers/usb/gadget/legacy/g_serial.ko
/media/alex/rootfs/lib/modules/4.14.3-h5/kernel/drivers/usb/gadget/function/u_serial.ko
/media/alex/rootfs/lib/modules/4.14.3-h5/kernel/drivers/usb/gadget/function/usb_f_serial.ko

have you added the needed modules to /etc/modules ?
Maybe something still missing, i have sent you an e-mail.
I have made some tests and published some instructions on How to connect and work with a 3G USB modem on legacy and mainline kernel.

You can follow here: https://github.com/avafinger/3G_GSM_GPRS