Power & Source of Big Ideas

NanoPi Neo hangs after few days of uptime

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hi,
I'm using NanoPi Neo with an OLED dock, Ubuntu Core 4.14. I'm using that board for NextCloud hosting. The SBC works quite well, but I need to restart it every ~4-6 days, because computer crashes.
The symptoms are - it just starts getting hot, I cannot ssh/uart into it, the oled screen displays glitchy text. To fix it I need to physically reconnect a micro usb cable to restart the board. I've checked dmesg and /var/logs, but nothing interesting there. I'm using 5V@2A PSU and original friendlyarm's usb cable.

Do you know what to check to find the root cause of that crashes? Tbh I'm out of ideas now.

Thank you
fitter wrote:
I'm out of ideas now.

Did you try Armbian? There are 3 different kernels for this board. Perhaps you need to set fixed CPU speed?
https://www.armbian.com/nanopi-neo/

I2C for running OLED display is supported but needs to be enabled via armbian-config.
Haha, right I should have wrote that I do have one idea - to install Armbian :D . I used it before together with orangePi - H3 board without any stability issues.
But before I wanted to dig more into it to check if its not a HW or installed SW issue. Will check the CPU clock. Thanks!
Just a small update.
I changed the CPU frequency to 900MHz and switched CPU freq governor to conservative. My NanoPi got recently 2 weeks of uptime. Looks like the problem is solved.

I'm still wondering what was wrong there. PSU issue or maybe the power section which feeds the H3 cannot provide enough current while load peaks occur and the board dies? I'm using my old tablet charger, which previously managed to power much beefier board (Khadas Vim). I ordered an "original RPi PSU" with 2.5A to test it out. Also I plan to setup my server again on top of the Armbian, but this needs to wait until I graduate (hopefully soon :D ). I will try to not forget and post the results of my experiments here.
igorp wrote:
fitter wrote:
I2C for running OLED display is supported but needs to be enabled via armbian-config.

Anybody got the FrienlyARM OLED-Display running with armbian?
Or is it only to activate the I2C and use the Installer from FriendlyARM?
Hi guidol,

Mine is Neo2 with OLED, armbian is working fine with my neo2.

However, it takes many steps for the python script to work.

Kenneth
folderman wrote:
Hi guidol,
Mine is Neo2 with OLED, armbian is working fine with my neo2.
However, it takes many steps for the python script to work.

How much more work is it than
- installing armbian
- enable I2C in armbian-config and
- run OLED install-script from
http://wiki.friendlyarm.com/wiki/index. ... D_manually ?
Hi guidol,

Actually, more than that, but including google searching, it takes me about 2-3 hours to complete all.

Most of the problem is related to the python script, just settle the errors one-by-one.

Kenneth
folderman wrote:
it takes me about 2-3 hours to complete all.
Most of the problem is related to the python script, just settle the errors one-by-one.

If your 2-3 hours are the same work as 2-3 hours for me than it seems much work for this little display :(
folderman wrote:
Actually, more than that, but including google searching, it takes me about 2-3 hours to complete all.

Today I swapped my old Neo2 against a Neo2 LTS 1GB in my NAS case - so I had a old Neo2 512MB free for the black OLED case which I got in a drawer.

Now I did try to activate the OLED in

Code: Select all

ARMBIAN 5.67 user-built Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.19.4-sunxi64
Linux npi-neo2-27 4.19.4-sunxi64 #6 SMP Fri Nov 30 14:02:43 +03 2018 aarch64 GNU/Linux

First (like on a i2c-clock" I activated i2c0 in armbian-config:

root@npi-neo2-27(192.168.6.27):~# armbian-config

System --> Hardware --> [*] i2c0

After the reboot I checked for the i2c-OLED-device and got:

root@npi-neo2-27(192.168.6.27):~# apt install i2c-tools
root@npi-neo2-27(192.168.6.27):~# i2cdetect -y 0
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 3c -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

After some trial and error(-messages) I did found the following dependencies for compiling/installing the software for the OLED-Board:

apt-get install python-setuptools libjpeg-dev

https://pillow.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... ation.html
There are scripts to install the dependencies for some operating systems included in the depends directory.
libjpeg provides JPEG functionality.
Starting with Pillow 3.0.0, libjpeg is required by default

After that I did the normal "5 Enable NanoHat-OLED manually" from
http://wiki.friendlyarm.com/wiki/index.php/NanoHat_OLED
with

root@npi-neo2-27(192.168.6.27):~# cd /home/guido
root@npi-neo2-27(192.168.6.27):~# git clone https://github.com/friendlyarm/NanoHatOLED.git
root@npi-neo2-27(192.168.6.27):~# cd NanoHatOLED
root@npi-neo2-27(192.168.6.27):~# ./install.sh

And after the next reboot the OLED-Display did work :)