Power & Source of Big Ideas

ZeroPi Static IP

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hi, I purchased a zero pi and applied the linux OS image to the sd card. I'm trying to setup a static IP on the Zeropi following the instructions on the Wiki but I'm unable to connect to the internet when I set the IP to static, only when the IP is issued from DHCP does it connect to the internet. Otherwise the ZeroPi is only available on the local LAN. I have the network manager disabled, and I have it turned off as a service. When I apply the config to /etc/network/interfaces using nano, and save it, reboot the pi, the settings take, but I can't connect to the internet.

Here is the config I have for /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# network interface not managed by Network Manager
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.250
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

My LAN is setup as 192.168.1.X so the gateway setting is correct, like I said it works fine under DHCP its only when I try to set the IP as static does it fail to connect to the internet, but continues to be accessible on the local LAN. Is there something I am missing in the config?
mostly when I got this problem there was any empty/bad
/etc/resolv.conf

Never get DNS-servers to "work" from /etc/network/interfaces. I had to manually write them to
/etc/resolv.conf
like (where GUIDO is my domain):

Code: Select all

search GUIDO
domain GUIDO
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

Without DNS from /etc/resolv.conf you will never can connect to the internet :)