Power & Source of Big Ideas

Serial Terminal to NanoPi Neo Air with Windows 11

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Are there detailed instructions somewhere for getting connected to the NanoPi Neo Air via UART? I've got putty and a USB serial adapter and I've not been able to get it to connect. I'm using the first 4 pins on the 8-pin row (GND, 5V, TX, RX) and I've connected the TX to RX and RX to TX, though I tried with them flipped just in case. I set the baud rate to 115200 in Windows Device Manager and Putty, set the correct COM port (which I verified by doing a loopback test), but I'm lost as to how to get the connection to the NanoPi. I've tried connecting the ground and data pins and opening putty prior to powering on the NanoPi, but no luck. Ideally I want to get things working with DietPi as the provided images are too out of date, I need newer than Python 3.5 and not using it as a network device so WRT isn't an appropriate option.

I also had no luck getting the serial terminal working with my Neo Plus 2, but the ethernet port allowed me to connect and configure WiFi, but no such option with the Air.

My googling has not turned up any really detailed guides and I've got no clue what else to try, I would appreciate any pointers anyone can provide.
skipfire wrote:
I would appreciate any pointers anyone can provide.
The debug UART is wired up directly at the SOC as can be seen by the schematic. The IO is powered by the VDD_SYS_3.3V power domain, so a USB serial adapter operating in the same power range is required. A TTL variant (5.0V) will not work. The VDD_5V pin of the debug connector is not related to the UART communication, it can serve as a power source for an externally connected device.
NanoPi-Neo-Air.png
NanoPi-Neo-Air.png (154.77 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
usual user wrote:
skipfire wrote:
I would appreciate any pointers anyone can provide.
The debug UART is wired up directly at the SOC as can be seen by the schematic. The IO is powered by the VDD_SYS_3.3V power domain, so a USB serial adapter operating in the same power range is required. A TTL variant (5.0V) will not work. The VDD_5V pin of the debug connector is not related to the UART communication, it can serve as a power source for an externally connected device.
NanoPi-Neo-Air.png

Kiitos tämän jakamisesta!