Power & Source of Big Ideas

NanoPi NEO - no audio on Ubuntu-Core

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

I'm running Ubuntu-Core with Qt-Embedded (nanopi-neo-core-qte-sd4g-20161213.img.zip), however audio is not working out of the box. Any idea what may be wrong? Other posts and "/var/lib/alsa/asound.state" mention "audiocodec" however this is not listed in the hardware device list:

output of aplay -l

Code: Select all

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: snddaudio [snddaudio], device 0: Playback pcm5102a-hifi-0 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: sndhdmi [sndhdmi], device 0: SUNXI-HDMIAUDIO sndhdmi-0 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

output of aplay -L

Code: Select all

null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
sysdefault:CARD=snddaudio
    snddaudio,
    Default Audio Device
dmix:CARD=snddaudio,DEV=0
    snddaudio,
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=snddaudio,DEV=0
    snddaudio,
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=snddaudio,DEV=0
    snddaudio,
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=snddaudio,DEV=0
    snddaudio,
    Hardware device with all software conversions
sysdefault:CARD=sndhdmi
    sndhdmi,
    Default Audio Device
dmix:CARD=sndhdmi,DEV=0
    sndhdmi,
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=sndhdmi,DEV=0
    sndhdmi,
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=sndhdmi,DEV=0
    sndhdmi,
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=sndhdmi,DEV=0
    sndhdmi,
    Hardware device with all software conversions
I have the same issue.
"aplay -l" list just like in noqre post.
running test sound - looks everything all right in console output but there is no sound
Got through many post on the Internet - still nothing.

I've bought NanoPi Neo v. 1.2, only because of its audio pins, sommeone please help.
Hi,

We'll have a check after the Chinese Lunar holiday, please wait.

Thank you

Mindee
Hi there,
i am actually facing the same problem regarding the audio output on a nanopi neo.
Thank you for your help.
Hi there,
in the past days I contacted the support regarding the audio output.
I just got this poor answer:
"Hi,
You can refer to this fourum:http://www.friendlyarm.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=264 "

Right just i answered, that I already know this post (which was actually started by a interested customer and not really by the construction site) and it didn't work for me - I got the next poor answer:

"Hi,
Maybe you need to study it by yourself ,we now donot have much suggestion. I suggest you read the link of the fourum.

thank you!"

For me it seems like they sell a product with a lot of features, but it lacks a qualified image to use all of the Features right out of the box.

I realy hope, that FATechSupport will leave a reply to this post where other users and me can get a qualified answer regarding this problem.

Thanks in advance.

stzerre.
stzerre wrote:
Hi there,
in the past days I contacted the support regarding the audio output.
I just got this poor answer:
"Hi,
You can refer to this fourum:http://www.friendlyarm.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=264 "

Right just i answered, that I already know this post (which was actually started by a interested customer and not really by the construction site) and it didn't work for me - I got the next poor answer:

"Hi,
Maybe you need to study it by yourself ,we now donot have much suggestion. I suggest you read the link of the fourum.

thank you!"

For me it seems like they sell a product with a lot of features, but it lacks a qualified image to use all of the Features right out of the box.

I realy hope, that FATechSupport will leave a reply to this post where other users and me can get a qualified answer regarding this problem.

Thanks in advance.

stzerre.

Hi, stzerre

That's really a bad disappointed answer, let me check again, please wait.

Thank you

-- Mindee
Had the same issue with a newer Ubuntu core on NanoPi NEO, flashed back to an older version I had downloaded some time ago (nanopi-neo-linux-rootfs-core-qte-sd4g-20160804.img), sound works again. This seems to be due to a kernel change in the FriendlyARM repository as far as I could read on Armbian forums. For me reverting to older kernel is fine at least for the use case I have for the NanoPi.
Hi All,

We have released a new ROM based on Ubuntu Core 16.04, it has more useful feature:
- add a config tool : npi-config
-- you can config the audio output, ssh, locale setting, etc. like raspi-config
- add a welcome display
- add the Networking-manager

new ROM link NanoPi-neo-ubuntu-core-QtE-sd4g-20170331.img.zip

Enjoy!

-- Mindee
Nice! Thank you for the heads up! Will definitely look into this ASAP :)
Mindee wrote:
We have released a new ROM based on Ubuntu Core 16.04, it has more useful feature:

Great, thanks very much! :-)

I've got a couple of questions:

* Is this an "unofficial" new ROM? Currently neither the wiki nor the linked download area seem to be updated.
* How can i upgrade from older images without flashing the SD card or the eMMC? Something like apt-get update/upgrade would be quite useful.

/Thomas
Command "alsamixer" or "amixer" is not functional.