Power & Source of Big Ideas

Problem with NanoPI NEO "1-bay NAS Kit for NanoPi NEO"

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Received "1-bay NAS Kit for NanoPi NEO".
Used image "nanopi-neo_debian-nas-jessie_4.11.0_20170417.img".

Can not mount 2.5 inch hard drive in Linux. Tried both openmediavault web interface and Linux terminal.
Linux simply can not read or access hard drives. Tried 3 different hard drives. None able to mount.
Tried also different file systems: ext4, ntfs-3g and exfat.

In some cases fdisk -l lists /dev/sda1 but any attempts to mount it fail.
In most cases lsblk does not list /dev/sda1 and lists only /dev/sda.
I'm having the same problem. Everything works via USB, but I can not mount a SATA drive. Symptoms are exactly as you described.
:cry:
Hi, All

Can you post the serial log? Or Can you try a SSD Disk?

Thank you

Mindee
I am having the same problem. The NanoPI NEO NAS boots up from the SD card. I can access it via .SSH or via OPENMEDIAVAULT in browser. However, the 2.5" SATA HDD is not found. It does not appear in the /dev/ device list and fdisk does no find it.

My HDD is a Seagate 2.5" drive that is known to function correctly--I tested it with a PC. I do not have funds to go out and buy a SSD just to test your HW & SW. If you send my a SSD I will be happy to investigate further for you.
Hey Mindee,
Any timetable for getting the replacements out?
Can we use the packaging from the new module to ship the old ones back?
Pete
I too have had this problem. I set up the Nano Pi Neo , boot into it, then update it & then set setting to my preference. Shut it down , add HDD & reboot. The open media software just will not find the HDD on the SATA port at all, tried 3 different models all formatted in different ways , ext4, NTFS, FAT32, NFS etc & the HDD will not load, HOWEVER if I get my USB to sata dock out & connect it the drive shows in the OMV setup for working on, but the software prompt crashed when trying to use it, with a software error click left mouse button. I have 2 boards , one. replacement sent to me as the original was shipped defective & NEITHER of them work
I also have the Neo NAS one bay kit. I installed a 2tb Seagate drive new. It does not show up under physical disks. A usb drive does work.

Can Friendly Elec explain what they are doing about this. I got an email that indicated they might be sending replacement boards?

What is the ETA?

-CB
ctbarker32 wrote:
I also have the Neo NAS one bay kit. I installed a 2tb Seagate drive new. It does not show up under physical disks. A usb drive does work.

Can Friendly Elec explain what they are doing about this. I got an email that indicated they might be sending replacement boards?

What is the ETA?

-CB

replacement board I got is u/s too. won't see the hard drive in the data port, only via usb ... & no solution yet from them nor reply to these posts
Which version of NAS Dock do you have problems with? Did you try another image of the operating system, for example armbian?
Hi, All

We have new version NAS Dock V1.2 days ago, for NAS Dock V1.0, Perhaps there is a small bug, two capacitances on the board is wrong, you can modify it if you can(I will post the picture later). We can re-send the new version NAS Dock to you at free.

Please email to sales@friendlyarm.com

Thank You

Mindee
I got the updated version 1.2 and i am having the same problem as everyone else.
Openmediavault can't find my harddrive. It's a Kingston SSD 120gb (that works perfect in i PC).

I spend money on this kit, and now it's useless. This got to be sorted.
Mindee wrote:
Hi, All

We have new version NAS Dock V1.2 days ago, for NAS Dock V1.0, Perhaps there is a small bug, two capacitances on the board is wrong, you can modify it if you can(I will post the picture later). We can re-send the new version NAS Dock to you at free.

Please email to sales@friendlyarm.com

Thank You

Mindee

No. 1.2 doesn't work either.
Mindee, with which HDD and SSD models did you test version 1.2?
andyduke wrote:
Mindee, with which HDD and SSD models did you test version 1.2?

Hi

For HDD model, Please check the comparison chart on this page:
http://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?ro ... uct_id=192

Thank you

Mindee
Hi, all

We checked the issues, and will update the NAS ROM this week, please wait.

Thank you

Mindee
Mindee wrote:
Hi, all

We checked the issues, and will update the NAS ROM this week, please wait.

Thank you

Mindee

Is it a ROM issue or a hardware issue? I got a email from your techsupport asking me to resolder the pins for the harddrive connection on the board.

This kind of makes me angry. If i buy something i expect it to work properly. I don't want to hear that i should resolder something on it.

First you said it was the board so we get new one. But that wasnt the issue cause we got the same problem again. You tell us its a ROM issue while sending out email asking the buyer to solder the board. Come on!
Hi,

There is a possibility under this circumstances is that the connection pin on the NEO/NEO2 board is having an insecure soldering so the USB device is not detected. The NAS was checked before out of the factory. Could you guys solder the CPU board Pins again then test the nas dock again?

thank you!
jjm wrote:
Hi,

There is a possibility under this circumstances is that the connection pin on the NEO/NEO2 board is having an insecure soldering so the USB device is not detected. The NAS was checked before out of the factory. Could you guys solder the CPU board Pins again then test the nas dock again?

thank you!

USB device? I am using a internal ssd.
And no, i can't solder because i got no soldering iron and i will not go out and buy one because you messed up. Send me a new verified board instead.
jjm wrote:
Hi,

thank you!

tadvi, w0lt, peabody1929, Cephas486, Pablo0208, ctbarker32, Ronnie: You all ordered the NAS Dock and NanoPi Neo with Pin Headers Soldered?
andyduke wrote:
jjm wrote:
Hi,

thank you!

tadvi, w0lt, peabody1929, Cephas486, Pablo0208, ctbarker32, Ronnie: You all ordered the NAS Dock and NanoPi Neo with Pin Headers Soldered?

Hi,
I suspect that the problem is caused by the insecure soldering on the development board around the GPIO pins.

thank you!
jjm wrote:
andyduke wrote:
jjm wrote:
Hi,

thank you!

Hi,
I suspect that the problem is caused by the insecure soldering on the development board around the GPIO pins.

thank you!

You mean the header pins soldering on NanoPi Neo?
andyduke wrote:
jjm wrote:
andyduke wrote:

Hi,

thank you!

You mean the header pins soldering on NanoPi Neo?

YES.
My header pins are not soldered, but initial testing seems to indicate the new board now recognizes the internal drive. Need to follow up with OMV to see if I can get it set up and running properly.
I had initially bolted it down with 2.5 mm x 30 mm machine screws, but the new NAS board comes without mounting bolt holes.
I would really prefer not to solder the pin headers. Any suggestions? Wedge a piece of plastic against the heat sink?
Cephas486 wrote:
My header pins are not soldered, but initial testing seems to indicate the new board now recognizes the internal drive. Need to follow up with OMV to see if I can get it set up and running properly.
Please tell us here if you can get the OMV to work with hard disk via NAS.

Cephas486 wrote:
I had initially bolted it down with 2.5 mm x 30 mm machine screws, but the new NAS board comes without mounting bolt holes.
Do you mean holes for attaching a hard drive or NanoPi Neo?
I meant holes to attach NanoPi NEO, there are already holes to mount the hard drive.
Has anyone re-soldered NanoPi header pins? Are there any success?
I received a NAS Dock 1.2 and NanoPi Neo2 with a soldered pins header, HDD connected to SATA works well.
ProblemTestCan't Recognize the Device
1、It must use the nas dock ROM

2、Try to make a new SD card again to test

3、Format the hard disk to test again

4、Under the Linux system to format and fdisk the hard disk then test again

5、Troubleshoot the USB problem of the NanoPi NEO/NEO2 board:
a. Check whether the board can boot normal or not.
b. If the board can boot normal then check whether the usb interface can recognize the usb device. You can connect the hard disk to the usb interface of the NEO board then log in into the board via ssh to see whether can recognize the hard disk device or not.
c. If the usb of the NEO board can recognize the device that we can judge the usb of the board is normal.

6、Use a hard disk to connect the NAS DOCK and log in into the the board via ssh, also check whether can recognize the usb device or not.

7、If the above ways all can't recognize the usb device you will need to use a soldering iron to solder the NanoPi NEO/NEO2 pins again then test the board.
There is a possibility under this circumstances is that the connection pin on the NEO/NEO2 board is having an insecure soldering so the USB device is not detected. The NAS was checked before out of the factory. Could you solder the CPU board Pins again then test the nas dock again?
i'm having the same problem with multiple hard drives. Is there any recourse to getting one of the new boards or a refund?
I've just being fobbed off with email replies that " they sent the package, incl the courier/tracking info " every time with no offer of the correct board SO ... Ill be writing a review of the whole shebang soon .... crud puts it mildly
tbuffenbarger wrote:
i'm having the same problem with multiple hard drives. Is there any recourse to getting one of the new boards or a refund?

Hi,please contact chutinghuang@friendlyarm.com
I have 2 Neo2 with self-soldered headers and they work fine with the NAS case as SAMBA server
using armbian (debian stretch version). Got around 36MB/sec with 2 different 2.5" harddiscs (no SSD):
https://dl.armbian.com/nanopineo2/Debia ... nightly.7z

Linux nanopineo2 4.13.13-sunxi64 #230 SMP Sat Nov 18 01:55:40 CET 2017 aarch64 GNU/Linux

So no problems with the NAS Board V1.2 using a 12V power supply with 2A :)