Power & Source of Big Ideas

Issues with EGL in latest Debian

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

The later version of Debian 4.14.0 is unable to initialise an EGL instance, giving a
"UMP: ump_arch_open() failed to open UMP device drive" error

This seems to be an error in the build rather than any kind of update I can make to it.

Is it possible to fix it?
Brian Beuken wrote:
The later version of Debian 4.14.0 is unable to initialise an EGL instance, giving a
"UMP: ump_arch_open() failed to open UMP device drive" error

This seems to be an error in the build rather than any kind of update I can make to it.

Is it possible to fix it?

This function is not yet developed.
It was working fine in the older version of Debian, is there no way to transfer that over? Being unable to open an EGL window is a serious restriction for any form of graphic usage
Brian Beuken wrote:
It was working fine in the older version of Debian, is there no way to transfer that over? Being unable to open an EGL window is a serious restriction for any form of graphic usage

Yes, it works in an old kernel and if you need this functionality, you have to forget about kernel 4.x. Currently, that is the only way.

Unfortunately, "transferring from old kernel" is far from simple. It is a long, complex and expensive process, mostly done by amateurs as their side project. You have to count all required dependencies that this functionality becomes possible. DRM video driver, as one of the major dependencies, was just introduced in the modern (armbian) kernel. Most likely this is not yet found the way to FriendlyARM builds. Before this, we had only a simple fb driver, which provided only basic functions, but not anything in the range of video or gl acceleration. I am not aware in details if there are any other major dependencies still pending, but first one is solved and is in the process of debugging.
ok, thanks for the update, yes I know its not a simple matter to port from one to the other I will use the old one for now

thanks
any update on this?
Brian Beuken wrote:
any update on this?

Bootlin guys are working on OS video acceleration routines and they have some testing KODI, which I assume it must also have GLES enabled ... this would mean its possible. I haven't tried this myself yet ... H5 is not supported yet AFAIK.
https://linux-sunxi.org/Sunxi-Cedrus#2018.07_Release

Everything is in early dev stage and will remain this way unless there will be some serious support to bring this to the plug and play level.