Power & Source of Big Ideas

Raspotify on FriendlyCore Xenial img

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hello everybody,

I'm looking to install Raspotify on the basic Xenial image of my NeoPlus2.

https://github.com/dtcooper/raspotify

However, the automatic installer fails as it is made solely for the Raspberry Pi.

I tried the manual installation. At first there were some missing dependencies which I installed and seemed like raspotify was installed.

However, checking its status with:

Code: Select all

service raspotify status

I get the errors below:

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/raspotify.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: signal) since Sun 2020-05-03 13:40:30 BST; 92ms ago
Process: 2323 ExecStart=/usr/bin/librespot --name ${DEVICE_NAME} $BACKEND_ARGS --bitrate ${BITRATE} $CACHE_ARGS $VOLUME_ARGS $OPTIONS (code=killed, signal=ILL)
Process: 2320 ExecStartPre=/bin/chown raspotify:raspotify /var/cache/raspotify (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 2317 ExecStartPre=/bin/mkdir -m 0755 -p /var/cache/raspotify (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 2323 (code=killed, signal=ILL)

May 03 13:40:30 NanoPi-NEO-Plus2 systemd[1]: raspotify.service: Unit entered failed state.
May 03 13:40:30 NanoPi-NEO-Plus2 systemd[1]: raspotify.service: Failed with result 'signal'.
~
~
Any help would be great! :)
gtj wrote:
Hello everybody,

However, the automatic installer fails as it is made solely for the Raspberry Pi.

I tried the manual installation. At first there were some missing dependencies which I installed and seemed like raspotify was installed.

service raspotify status

I get the errors below:

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/raspotify.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: signal) since Sun 2020-05-03 13:40:30 BST; 92ms ago
Process: 2323 ExecStart=/usr/bin/librespot --name ${DEVICE_NAME} $BACKEND_ARGS --bitrate ${BITRATE} $CACHE_ARGS $VOLUME_ARGS $OPTIONS (code=killed, signal=ILL)
Process: 2320 ExecStartPre=/bin/chown raspotify:raspotify /var/cache/raspotify (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 2317 ExecStartPre=/bin/mkdir -m 0755 -p /var/cache/raspotify (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

May 03 13:40:30 NanoPi-NEO-Plus2 systemd[1]: raspotify.service: Unit entered failed state.
May 03 13:40:30 NanoPi-NEO-Plus2 systemd[1]: raspotify.service: Failed with result 'signal'.
~
~

Start here https://www.armbian.com/download/ and will probably work.
igorp wrote:
gtj wrote:
Hello everybody,

service raspotify status

I get the errors below:

~
~

Start here https://www.armbian.com/download/ and will probably work.

Another guy over at the DietPi forum advised that it won't work with Armbian that's why I went with Ubuntu.

I will give this a go and report back!

Thank you!
gtj wrote:
Another guy over at the DietPi forum advised that it won't work with Armbian

If it doesn't work with Armbian, you can simply forget about ... don't believe every crap that you read on the internet, especially if that comes from some dietised / new to Linux user.

https://docs.armbian.com/#what-is-armbian
igorp wrote:
gtj wrote:

If it doesn't work with Armbian, you can simply forget about ... don't believe every crap that you read on the internet, especially if that comes from some dietised / new to Linux user.

I'll try this for sure.
I'm wondering if there's another "Spotify Connect" client that actually works with the Friendlyarm images?
That would be amazing.
gtj wrote:
igorp wrote:
gtj wrote:

I'll try this for sure.
I'm wondering if there's another "Spotify Connect" client that actually works with the Friendlyarm images?
That would be amazing.

You want to run software on unsupported proof of concept system or supported system from today?
igorp wrote:
gtj wrote:
igorp wrote:

I'll try this for sure.
That would be amazing.

You want to run software on unsupported proof of concept system or supported system from today?

Sorry Igor I didn't understand what you mean.
Do you mean what Raspotfy is about?
Raspotify simply takes advantage of the Spotify streaming capability to other devices.
It's not an official software release but it's not against Spotify either. What it does is essentially transforms your device to a Spotify-ready audio streamer. You have to have a Premium account in order to work.
gtj wrote:

FriendlyArm images are proof of concept. Its a demonstration that it can run Linux. Armbian is proper Linux distribution with own know-how and end user support. My question is if you are satisfied with any crap you download or you are going to do some investigation prior wasting time?

gtj wrote:
Raspotify simply takes advantage of the Spotify streaming capability to other devices.
It's not an official software release but it's not against Spotify either. What it does is essentially transforms your device to a Spotify-ready audio streamer. You have to have a Premium account in order to work.

Didn't know. Not familiar with this application but I am sure you want to run it on a stable system, right? Sometimes things will not work out of the box. Sometimes its software that is written poorly or made especially for some hardware ...
igorp wrote:
gtj wrote:

FriendlyArm images are proof of concept. Its a demonstration that it can run Linux. Armbian is proper Linux distribution with own know-how and end user support. My question is if you are satisfied with any crap you download or you are going to do some investigation prior wasting time?

gtj wrote:

Didn't know. Not familiar with this application but I am sure you want to run it on a stable system, right? Sometimes things will not work out of the box. Sometimes its software that is written poorly or made especially for some hardware ...

Oh, I got you.
Since Armbian is a fully-fledged Linux distro my chances to run this software are plenty.
I did my research and that Spotify client seems to be very popular among the Raspberry Pi community and my impression is that if it's popular in a big community then it should be OK to download and use.