Power & Source of Big Ideas

Possible to run NanoPi inside Desktop PC?

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hello,

I am looking at this product because I am working on a project.
I have a second screen that I want to use to display content automatically,
but I don't want it connected to my desktop GPU (in which case I would have 2 screens active).

My goal is to have the secondary screen be stand-alone if you will.

Now, I searched around a little and found that I need a control board probably (model: MT6820 GOLD-A7)
Which allows me to draw power from my motherboard using molex (5v).

Next step would be to display something on my screen. I'm thinking I will be able to just connect the video cable to the NanoPi directly, bypassing the cheapo control board, but I don't know if that is even possible.
It might need to do something with the signal first? <-- my Question.

Can I use (any version of) the NanoPi for my project?
if so, which version do you recommend?

Thank you
deknarf wrote:

Next step would be to display something on my screen. I'm thinking I will be able to just connect the video cable to the NanoPi directly, bypassing the cheapo control board, but I don't know if that is even possible.
It might need to do something with the signal first? <-- my Question.
Can I use (any version of) the NanoPi for my project?
if so, which version do you recommend?

You do only need such a control board if you are using a NanoPi without (Micro)-HDMI Output.

If you are using a HDMI Monitor then you can connect directly a NanoPi A64 or with a Micro-HDMI to HDMI-cable
you can connect a NanoPi Fire 2A/3 to HDMI (or via a cheap HDMI2VGA Converter to a VGA-Monitor).

The A64 is the cheapest options, but hasnt the best OS-Support - while the FireBird 2A/3 are newer and will get besser OS Support.

Other NanoPis like Neo(2)/Core(2) wouldnt have a HDMI-Output - only TTL-serial Port.
while the NEW Neo2 V1.1 will have Composite-Out as a normal Videosignal for a old SCART-TV.

So it depends ony our 3rd Monitor....and have in mind - when the PC restarts the 5V will go down and the Linux/Android on the NanoPi does also restart :(