Power & Source of Big Ideas

dm-crypt kernel module is missing from FriendlyCore

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Does the NanoPi A64 version of Ubuntu/FriendlyCore/FriendlyArm (whatever it's called) include the dm-crypt kernel module?

I'm asking because the NanoPi Neo2 version (nanopi-neo2_ubuntu-oled_4.x.y_YYYYMMDD.img.zip on the Wiki page) is missing dm-crypt. If dm-crypt is present in the NanoPi A64 version of FriendlyCore, why is it absent from the NanoPi Neo2 version? I can recompile the kernel w/ deb build etc., but I was wondering, was the module removed on purpose?
ElderOfPsion wrote:
I'm asking because the NanoPi Neo2 version (nanopi-neo2_ubuntu-oled_4.x.y_YYYYMMDD.img.zip on the Wiki page) is missing dm-crypt. If dm-crypt is present in the NanoPi A64 version of FriendlyCore, why is it absent from the NanoPi Neo2 version? I can recompile the kernel w/ deb build etc., but I was wondering, was the module removed on purpose?

For the Neo2 you could use the mainline Kernel of armbian - there is dm-crypt available after modprobe dm-crypt:

Code: Select all

ARMBIAN 5.37.180119 nightly Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.14.14-sunxi64
Linux nanopineo2 4.14.14-sunxi64 #48 SMP Fri Jan 19 03:09:22 CET 2018 aarch64 GNU/Linux

root@nanopineo2:~# modprobe dm-crypt
root@nanopineo2:~# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
dm_crypt               36864  0
dm_mod                122880  1 dm_crypt

Use https://dl.armbian.com/nanopineo2/night ... 4.13.14.7z
then apt update & upgrade
For the Neo2 you could use the mainline Kernel of armbian - there is dm-crypt available after modprobe dm-crypt

You're absolutely right. I've been trying Armbian as well; unfortunately, the NanoHat OLED installation script doesn't seem to work properly on the Armbian distro.

So, either I go with a distro that can use the OLED screen but not handle crypto, or I go with a distro that can handle crypto but cannot use the OLED screen. Hm. I'll think you're right. I'll try rebuilding the Armbian kernel package to slot into the OLED-friendly Ubuntu one. If that doesn't work, I'll recompile the Ubuntu kernel itself & add the dm-crypt module info to the makefile.

As you can see below, the device is not quite finished... but the two WiFi adapters work. I'm trying to figure out how to attach them permanently. Anyway, the only problem remaining (other than the dm-crypt issue) is the matter of making hostapd recognize and use one of them as a WiFi access point. I'll get back to it.

Thanks again your your help. I appreciate it.

Attachments