Power & Source of Big Ideas

WiFi on NanoPi Duo

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hi, I want to buy NanoPi Duo and my questing is:

1. Can I attach buttons using my python code (press btn -> run cmd)?
2. Has build in WiFi two wlan? (one for connect to WiFi and second to create hotspot)?
3. Can I install MPD/MPC/ftp server/atd? (Like other linux?)
4. Is available "headless" OS, like only terminal, not GUI?

If these questions are stupid, sorry. I don't know these things about NanoPI Duo. Thanks for answers and sorry for my english... :)
NCPlyn wrote:

2. Has build in WiFi two wlan? (one for connect to WiFi and second to create hotspot)?

If these questions are stupid, sorry. I don't know these things about NanoPI Duo. Thanks for answers and sorry for my english... :)

1. yes
2. The one build in is not very good quality. Most if not all wireless cards in this SbC world are 1T1R which means they are not very suitable for this job. You need something else for such case, something on USB with good drivers. Even there you need to find one that is capable of running STA and AP mode at the same time and with the usable speed.
3. Sure
4. https://www.armbian.com/nanopi-duo/ (all available builds with kernel 4.y out there are "testing" at best) It is perspective matter. In case of troubles, proceed to the legacy kernel. (other download options)
igorp wrote:
NCPlyn wrote:

1. yes
2. The one build in is not very good quality. Most if not all wireless cards in this SbC world are 1T1R which means they are not very suitable for this job. You need something else for such case, something on USB with good drivers. Even there you need to find one that is capable of running STA and AP mode at the same time and with the usable speed.
3. Sure
4. https://www.armbian.com/nanopi-duo/ (all available builds with kernel 4.y out there are "testing" at best) It is perspective matter. In case of troubles, proceed to the legacy kernel. (other download options)

I was using CHIP, but it is now dead so i am finding any cheap SBC. This has about same specs. But i am wonder about the WiFi, I only need two wlan0/1 one for create wifi without any internet connection (router without internet) and one for some time connect to wifi and update system,atd...
Here we have troubles already with basic STA functionality. Sometimes it does not see AP and sometimes it doesn't want to connect. Slow speed is the last thing you need to worry about. I haven't tried if you are able to run dual mode. I doubt.
BACILY wrote:
igorp wrote:
Here we have troubles already with basic STA Dafont 192.168.1.1l FileHippo functionality. Sometimes it does not see AP and sometimes it doesn't want to connect. Slow speed is the last thing you need to worry about. I haven't tried if you are able to run dual mode. I doubt.

Of course.