Power & Source of Big Ideas

soft-reset problem rev v1.1 1709

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hello,

I was using the NanoPi Duo since first revision (v1.0 1706) of Aug-17 for development purposes. In a new delivery we got a new hardware revision of the Duo (v1.1 1709). Now the soft-reset of the installed system (newest official image 2017-12-08 version is used) is not longer working. Ubuntu shuts down all processes and leaves with message "[...] reboot: Restarting system". Then nothing happens.

Already tried:
-use clean image
-install newer u-boot version
-change linux kernel

Seems to be something beyond the TF installed system image??

Is there any fix for this issue?

Best regards
andrexp wrote:
Hello,

I was using the NanoPi Duo since first revision (v1.0 1706) of Aug-17 for development purposes. In a new delivery we got a new hardware revision of the Duo (v1.1 1709). Now the soft-reset of the installed system (newest official image 2017-12-08 version is used) is not longer working. Ubuntu shuts down all processes and leaves with message "[...] reboot: Restarting system". Then nothing happens.

Already tried:
-use clean image
-install newer u-boot version
-change linux kernel

Seems to be something beyond the TF installed system image??

Is there any fix for this issue?

Best regards

You tried Armbian builds?
igorp wrote:

You tried Armbian builds?

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I also tried the latest Armbian build (Armbian 5.38, kernel 4.14.15). Same here.

Greetings
I made you an image that works: https://dl.armbian.com/nanopiduo/nightl ... _4.16.0.7z

At least on my Duo (v1.1 1709) with powering method as follows:
- module alone, powered via microUSB
- with shield board, powered via FA 4PIN connector

Reboot, reboots.
Shutdown, shutdowns.
Thanks again for the quick reply. Unfortunately it does not work. I am still stucked here:

Code: Select all

Unmounting /tmp...
         Unmounting /run/user/0...
[  OK  ] Unmounted /tmp.
[  OK  ] Unmounted /run/user/0.
[  OK  ] Reached target Unmount All Filesystems.
[  OK  ] Stopped target Local File Systems (Pre).
[  OK  ] Stopped Remount Root and Kernel File Systems.
[  OK  ] Stopped Create Static Device Nodes in /dev.
[  OK  ] Reached target Shutdown.
[   96.459243] reboot: Restarting system

Then nothing happens again...

My environment is a NanoPi v1.1 1709 plugged into a dev shield with connected UART-USB-Interface. The NanoPi is powered through a 5V power supply connected to the MicroUSB port (tried both, the one of the NanoPi and the one of Shield). I also tried to remove the UART-USB-converter and use it over ethernet. Still the same problem.
I found a solution for this issue! Unfortunately it is not a solution for me because hardware modification is necessary:

After checking the schematics of v1.1 1709 and compared with schematics of v1.0 1706 I noticed that U12 were added, as read in changelog on page 1.

Code: Select all

Revision   1706 , V1.0
v1.1 1709  Romoved U5(The DC-DC of AVCC)
           Added U12

U12 is a reset-circuit-monitor which is connected directly to the RESET#-Pin of H2+ Chip. As far as i can see in board v1.0 the reset pin is simply low-passed and left open. The low pass filter is also changed from 1M and 100nF to 10K and 100nF (both schematics, pdf page 6). I just tried reverting this changes (primary removing U12 should do the trick) to see what happens. And.... Surprisingly it works like charm!

Maybe this is useful for any makers out there.