Power & Source of Big Ideas

Boot from SSD eMMC

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hi,
just installed latest FriendlyArm on a NanoPi Duo with shield and eMMC. I tried to copy system on eMMC using api-config (as described) bu on next reboot I got the error the kernel does not find any /dev/sda1.

If I boot from TF the eMMC exists at /dev/sda1 with roots on it but probably on ramdisk image there is no driver for eMMC.

Any idea?
I get the same issue on mine as well.
Wish they would fix it already as I have told them about this months ago.
mikemoy wrote:
I get the same issue on mine as well.
Wish they would fix it already as I have told them about this months ago.

As I remember FriendlyARM wrote in some forum-thread that the eMMC on the "breakout" board of the NanoPi Duo was never supposed to be a bootable device....

They wrote is should be more like a log-drive :(
As I remember FriendlyARM wrote in some forum-thread that the eMMC on the "breakout" board of the NanoPi Duo was never supposed to be a bootable device....

They wrote is should be more like a log-drive :(

About a year ago & some versions ago for the DUO This worked just fine. If it was not supposed to be a bootable drive then why do they have this in Wiki for it.

6.18 Boot System from SSD

A NanoPi-Duo can be booted from the SSD on a Mini Shield for NanoPi Duo. Booting OS from an SSD has the following benefits:
1) faster read/write;
2) much longer life time than a TF card;
3) more reliable than booting from a TF card;

You can install an OS to SSD by using the npi-config utility. Here are the steps to follow:

sudo npi-config

Enter the "Boot Options" menu, go to "Boot device" and you will see two options:
1) D1 Hard drive
2) D2 TF card
Select "D1 Hard drive" and proceed with its prompts.
Select "D2 TF card" to boot OS from a TF card.
I dont know about the wiki-entry, because my Duo hasnt a SSD :(
I only did remember what I did read in the past...