Power & Source of Big Ideas

USB overcurrent, or something else?

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hello. I use some old wireless keyboard and mouse named "Trust" with NanoPC-T4 (which runs Android for now). Recently kids "reported" me that mouse stopped working while watching youtube, I thought that bateries run out. Changed today battery and it's still not working. Looked to dmesg, and found that dongle fails to initialise. Connected it to my laptop - same story. Here's appriximately what I get in terminal:
usb 2-1.2: new full-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci
usb 2-1.2: device descriptor read/64, error -32
usb 2-1.2: new full-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-pci
usb 2-1-port2: attempt power cycle
usb 2-1.2: new full-speed USB device number 6 using ehci-pci
usb 2-1.2: device not accepting address 6, error -32
usb 2-1.2: new full-speed USB device number 7 using ehci-pci
usb 2-1.2: device not accepting address 7, error -32
usb 2-1-port2: unable to enumerate USB device

Found an info on internet, that it might be that device get overcurrent. So I turned computer off and then unplugged device Started again and plugged back mouse dongle. It started working again.
It never ever happened with me on any computer. So, might it be that NanoPC is "leaking" somehow? Can it be fixed thru software somehow to prevent "short" in USB?
Oops, it happened again.

Keyboard and mouse just stopped working. And the port it was plugged to stopped working to. I plugged USB flash to it and no reaction. Plugged to second port - it works. Rebooted NanoPC, made the same trick with wireless keyboard dongle as before, and it works again.

Made a test, plugged this dongle to my laptop and left for a night. Nothing happened, it works. So the problem is in NanoPC.
It is an issue with the USB host controller in the RK3399. I am having the same issues with different devices. Only the devices plugged in to the USB 2.0 port have this issue (for me at least).

Code: Select all

[ 3893.229656] ohci-platform fe3a0000.usb: frame counter not updating; disabled
[ 3893.229760] ohci-platform fe3a0000.usb: HC died; cleaning up
[ 3893.230128] usb 6-1: USB disconnect, device number 2
[ 3893.470920] binder: 436:637 transaction failed 29189/0, size 348-0 line 2880
[ 6585.522466] ohci-platform fe3e0000.usb: frame counter not updating; disabled
[ 6585.522575] ohci-platform fe3e0000.usb: HC died; cleaning up
[ 6585.523002] usb 2-1: USB disconnect, device number 2

Is what I see in the dmesg output from the kernel (Android in this case) when the issue occurs.

Mike
My wireless keyboard dongle died eventually. It doesn't unblock anymore. Borrowed another wireless keyboard to try, and the same problem happens. It locks mostly after computer stays turned off for some time. Then have to plug it to a normal computer and shut it down properly, then take out this dongle, boot again and plug it in again. It unlocks only after this magic trick. Same happened once with my USB soundcard after boot it was missing, I had to go all this woodoo magic again. So I decided not to buy another wireless keyboard or plug into NanoPC anything I care about. This board was a complete money waste. I need something more reliable for my project. Funny thing, I thought Raspberry is a bit weak, I need more power... but now I see, that more powerful crap - is still crap.