Power & Source of Big Ideas

M4 SATA HAT - High Temperature

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hey
What is the heat sink temperature on the marvell 88se9215 chip in M4 SATA HAT? I have about 60 degrees with no disks connected.
Mine gets hot too, i have installed a small fan on top of it. BTW how do you mesure the temperature of the marvel chip?
I also have this heat sink on but without a fan. I measured the temperature on the heat sink with a multimeter and a thermocouple.
LeMa wrote:
Hey
What is the heat sink temperature on the marvell 88se9215 chip in M4 SATA HAT? I have about 60 degrees with no disks connected auto clicker word unscrambler jumble solver.

i have installed a small fan on top of it
Same issue here. I don't have the possibility to measure the temperature, but touching the heatsink for more than 5 seconds hurts. This behaviour is the same wether or not a disk is connected.

Using Armbian Buster Desktop with 4.4 Kernel.

I really don't want to install an additional fan. Are these temperatures normal?
I'm also wondering whether the extreme development of heat is an expected feature. I did not measure it but I can confirm that touching the dispenser for several seconds hurts. And there does not seem to be a difference between an idling SATA-hat without any HDD being connected and one that has (in my case) two disks connected while transferring data.

What I did is measuring the power consumption of the system:

Powered by USB-C with SATA-hat attached: 5,8W
Powered by USB-C no SATA-hat attached: 3,0W
(Powered by 12V and SATA-hat attached: 4,5W)

Setup was: NanoPi M4V2 using Armbian with legacy kernel and no disk attached to the SATA-hat.
It looks like the SATA-chip consumes almost the same amount of energy like the whole NanoPi. Does anybody know whether this is the expected behaviour?
SATA HAT using Marvell 88SE9215 Chipset. In datasheet is info about power consumption up to 1W...
But SATA HAT (without drives) consume much more. I think - something is wrong in HAT design... :cry:
I need to add small fan too :cry:

Is here some way, how to drive this fan speed to make them:
* less noisy
* less power consumption while SATA HAT is "cold"?
Trupik wrote:
SATA HAT using Marvell 88SE9215 Chipset. In datasheet is info about power consumption up to 1W...
But SATA HAT (without drives) consume much more. I think - something is wrong in HAT design... :cry:
I need to add small fan too :cry:

Is here some way, how to drive this fan speed to make them:
* less noisy
* less power consumption while SATA HAT is "cold"?

I measured 64° on mPCI based card with the same chip with a (large) heat sink:
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/4845-ma ... i-sata-30/
Hello,
a little bit weird question: is possible, to use SATA HAT with ribbon cable? Because low profile case, i cannot use original stack. Im thinking about something like this:

NanoPi and Sata HAT will be mounted side by side, so ribbon cable will be short (about 80mm).

Can this works, or this can cause problems with data transfer form NanoPi to Sata Hat? Or shielded flat cable?

Thanks for reply :)
I am joining Trupik's question. I also would like to use ribbon cable, as stacking would be possible, but problematic. Additional question is - do we need to connect 40pin header? Or would 24 pcie connector be enough? I am not sure how power is transfered to m4v2 (in my case) ...