Power & Source of Big Ideas

Maximum voltage for NanoPi M4v2

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

I use a power supply 5V/4A for the NanoPi M4v2 who was connect on GPIO1 pin 4/6. The PS has 5,35V (with a SSD on USB and NMVe between 5,1V and 5,3V . How much is the maximum voltage for VDD_5V?

Regards Norbert
nobby42 wrote:
I use a power supply 5V/4A for the NanoPi M4v2 who was connect on GPIO1 pin 4/6. The PS has 5,35V (with a SSD on USB and NMVe between 5,1V and 5,3V . How much is the maximum voltage for VDD_5V?

Regards Norbert

You would need to look at the schematic design to see what uses 5V and check the parts datasheet. Mostly the 5V is for USB power and if you have ever checked any PC, this can vary up to 5.3V at times.

The issue is the lower limit. After having tested a number fo 5V 4A and 5A power supplies many failed to supply anything better than half their rating before the 5V rail dropped right now. Here is a test I did with some DC-DC modues. I did the same with an AC-DC rated for 5A and it dropped to 4.3V at just 2 amps. I didn't record that though.

http://embeddedcomputer.co.uk/2018/09/1 ... e-testing/
Hi,

I looked at the schematic and the data sheets.
The switching regulators are designed for 5.5V. The new USB specification allow a maximum of 5.5V. So can I assume that I can use 5.5V at pin 4/6?
The background of the question is, I am using the NanoPi with the NMVe hat on 1 SSD on a USB3 port. With a Raspberry4 power supply (5V/3A) the NanoPi crashes during large data transfers to the SSD. The voltage of the power supply breaks down to < 4.9V
Is your cable connecting to the GPIO heavy enough to avoid voltage drop? You see a voltage drop at the M4V2 but what if you check the voltage at the power supply itself. If the cable is not of sufficient current carrying then you will get a voltage drop.
Yes the cable is strong enough.
I think, it's a problem with the regulation of the RP4 and the 5V/4A power supply.
I will test this power supply (5V/5A) later. I have more reserves there and can regulate the output voltage.
https://www.meanwell-web.com/content/fi ... 5-spec.pdf
Good choice to choose Meanwell. They have been very reliable for me in the past 10+ years of use. I use their DIN rail models. Testing them they do reach the stated current and the voltage only drops by a small amount. Excellent value too.