Power & Source of Big Ideas

Dts and drivers for Linux kernel 5.x?

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hello,

Will you be contributing a device tree to the Linux kernel so that linux can support these boards properly?
Also are there plans to make the device drivers available to the 5.x kernel via dkms?

I find that your ancient pre-packaged linux kernel and Ubuntu are insufficient for my use of this board.

Would you be willing to pay someone to do these things?

Thank you.
Eag wrote:
Hello,

Will you be contributing a device tree to the Linux kernel so that linux can support these boards properly?
Also are there plans to make the device drivers available to the 5.x kernel via dkms?

I find that your ancient pre-packaged linux kernel and Ubuntu are insufficient for my use of this board.

Would you be willing to pay

Works with Armbian.
https://www.armbian.com/donate
igorp wrote:

Works with Armbian.
https://www.armbian.com/donate

Local troll? Armbian is not an answer to these questions.

And, actually, no. As far as supported devices on the nanopc-t4 go, armbian is no better than any other distro.

Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, MIPI-DSI, nor eDP work with armbian. It is the same with manjaro arm. At least manjaro provides some basic tools out of the box. Like **inxi**. I was unable to determine much of anything on armbian other than reading dmesg. Which looked exactly as I expected. I have read so many of them on this board.

Hdmi, ethernet, usb, and probably pcie works. And sound although I haven't tried it.
Those are the only things that work that I know of.

It is very clear that for linux, outside of friendly's distros these devices do not work beyond basic functionality.

Maybe there are dts entries and/or some drivers that will enable linux at large to take full advantage of this board. Friendly's engineers know these things, that is their job.
That's what I am asking.

What knowledge is available that will help to improve the nanopc-t4's functionality under Linux. It is clearly possible, just not outside of the friendlyarm ecosystem.
Eag wrote:
What knowledge is available that will help to improve the nanopc-t4's functionality under Linux. It is clearly possible, just not outside of the friendlyarm ecosystem.
Armbian is a proof that it is possible. It is a demonstration that we can do some improvements, but until 95% of the costs that are not near small are paid from our private pockets I don't care what you want and why Manjaro also doesn't work. I know why. This is open source development. You can develop, DIY, recycle, ...

Just in last three months we invested around 4000 engineering hours into previous Armbian release. We only deal with ARM single board computers and we have improved a few things, but since we can't cover this operation, we have to self limit ourself and purposefully shrink the operation ... and your Manjaro will also lost its free source of Linux development too.

You are welcome to think however you like. It will not change anything else than your perspective.
Eag wrote:
At least manjaro provides some basic tools out of the box. Like **inxi**.

This is enabled this very cheap way on Debian based distro:

Code: Select all

apt install inxi

... but is mainly useless in this ARM world which is why we don't provide it by default.
I don't understand why you continue to spout the same meaningless diatribe no matter what the question or subject of the post is.

Perhaps you don't know that armbian does not, in reality, behave any differently than any other distro.

And yes it is very easy to do an apt command, but only on a system that has working ethernet. Which I did not have. Even on armbian.

So please stop your bitching. I've been using Linux since it came out in the early 90's.
I don't care for you to usurp my post with irrelevant BS.

My question still stands. Does anyone know what device tree entries and/or drivers are needed to more fully support this device on mainline linux?
Eag wrote:
I don't understand why you continue to spout the same meaningless diatribe no matter what the question or subject of the post is.
Meaningless? Read once again.

Eag wrote:
Perhaps you don't know that armbian does not, in reality, behave any differently than any other distro.
To me it looks like you have no idea. You probably come from x86 Linux where Linux is one one only? Here things are fundamentally different. ARM devices and most its development around sits in the embedded world. Which function different than mainstream amateur Linux.

There are huge differences, like night and day. Some are made around developers communities, they contribute and support them, some are (mainly) looters and make things primarily for their own good like Pine/Manjaro combo. 90% of improvements and porting - which are yet to come into the mainline in about 6 - 12 months, came in a direction from around Armbian, special kernel focuses projects like sunxi-linux, meson-linux (sponsored by chip vendor), ... while Rockchip is not yet on this level - they don't have such project and their Linux is simply not there. Most of work is community based, which is limited.

Armbian (co)make Linux for SBC and is not yet another Linux distributor. We do some part of this development (you are asking about), initial integration and A LOT of maintenance (which is your question about).
Eag wrote:
And yes it is very easy to do an apt command, but only on a system that has working ethernet. Which I did not have. Even on armbian.
On all supported images, Ethernet works, outside supported areas, things quickly collapses. We don't release anything without basic functions. If you have troubles, see support forums. I am sure you will find some clues.

Eag wrote:
So please stop your bitching. I've been using Linux since it came out in the early 90's.
I don't care for you to usurp my post with irrelevant BS.
You came to this forum selling something irrelevant and asking (demanding) for help that IMO exceeds this forum. I am also pre 90' Unix, later Linux user and developer, while solo that doesn't mean anything, except that I am getting old ;) This fact might actually make you more vulnerable to not understand where things has been evolved?

I am professionally surrounded also with young and talented Linux experts that I am asking for advises round the clock. I never use power of my 35 years of experiences to get my right.
Eag wrote:
My question still stands. Does anyone know what device tree entries and/or drivers are needed to more fully support this device on mainline linux?
My answer too and I helped you to keep it alive. If you don't accept reality, its your problem.