Power & Source of Big Ideas

nanoPi M4-V2 does not boot

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hi All,

I have just bought a nanoPiM4-V2 board.
I followed the instruction from its Wiki page how to prepare mSD card for use it.
I created a mSD card wth the "rk3399-sd-lubuntu-desktop-xenial-4.4-armhf-20201027" image.
I inserted into the slot, everything was fine the Pi booted up.
After approx. 20 seconds of the boot the board was frozen.
I disconnected the power cable. Waited few seconds and tried to reconnect it.
But from this moment nothing happend. Absolutely nothing. If I connect the power cable only the red LED blink quickly (not light!) nothing else happens - no boot, the green LED doest not light or blink.
I have cheked in my laptop the content of the mSD card - as is needed.

Does somebody have any idea or suggestion what do I have to boot again my board?

Thank you in advance,
SziroG
PS: Of course the power adapter - Samsung one, but I have got an UGREEN too - can provide 5V / 3A.
You have a serial cable to connect to the debug port?

That is your best diagnostic tool for headless systems as you can see what is happening during the boot cycle, long before even HDMI output is enabled. Connect to the:

Serial Debug Port: 2.54mm pitch 4-pin-header, 3V level, 1500000bps

You'll need something like Putty to be able to select the bps rate.
Hi v8dave,

Thank you for your reply.
I have one UART-USB converter (based on FT232RL FTDI chip) but I do not know what level of TTL communication supports (theoretically both of them can be) because it made a totally different usage.
But I have tried it - nothing received from my Pi on my laptop...
If I try to summarize my problem I have got tree "abnormal symptoms":
1. If I power on the Pi it does not boot, none of the LEDs light or blink, the Pi does not do anything - but the power consumption is around 350mA - Why?
2. Nothing came out on the debug (UART2) port (here is a bit wobbliness around the TTL level).
3. The lower side on the board between the USB-C and the HDMI connector there is a "8 legs" SMD part which is extremely hot if I powered the Pi.

I am absolutely not sure this is (only) software problem - after 18 seconds of the first boot the Pi practically died - but I do not know what should I do?!

Regards,
SziroG
Have you measured the voltage from the 5V supply?

That IC you refer to if labeled U110 is a regulator, MP2143DJ, and on pin 5 there should be 3.3V and pin 2 is the 5V input. This regulator is enabled by the PMIC.