Power & Source of Big Ideas

Is Staggered Spin-Up supported for SATA Hat?

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hi everyone!

So i have a very nice little setup now with the NanoPi M4 V2 and the SATA Hat running 4x 3.5" WD Green 6TB hard drives.
I have a 12V 8A DC power supply into the barrel jack on the SATA Hat powering everything.

One thing that is inconvenient, is that if i power on the system with all HDDs connected, there is momentary power before it powers off. Nothing happens after that!

However, if i power on the board with 1x HDD connected, and then connect the power to each HDD one at a time after that, then the system stays running and all the HDDs are powered successfully.

I believe that the inrush current is too high when all 4x HDDs spin up at the same time when powered on, and the SATA Hat Power regulators simply shut off the supply when the 4A is exceeded on both 5V and 12V rails.

So my question is... is it possible to implement a "Staggered Spin-Up" of the SATA drives?
Or maybe someone else has a solution to powering on the board + HDDs without having to disconnect them all, and then reconnect one at a time?

Thanks!
Im having the same issue with 4 3.5" 4TB HDD's, I have not tried to power them on one after the other due to the way they are setup, however with 3 HDD's everything works correctly and with 4 HDD's it simply doesnt boot. Did you come up with a solution?
Hi,
I have similar NAS baset at NanoPi & Sata Hat and here some info from my "research":
  • SATA HAT using Marvell 88SE9215 chipset. Not sure, but i think, this chipset supports staggered spinup.
  • Not sure about S-S support at HDD's.
  • maybe only kernel/SATA driver problem?

Right now, i'm trying to build some kind of "UPS" based at 18650 batteries what can support main PSU for this sort start time & short power outages...
While I don't have an answer to the staggered spin-up question, I will say that I cannot reproduce this problem. I've manually shutdown/unplugged and booted back up several times, also had power outages at home with automatic restarts.

Parts list:
    NanoPi M4V2 w/ 4x SATA Hat
    4x Seagate ST8000NM0055
    ALITOVE 12V 8A AC/DC converter
    Rosewill RSV-SATA-Cage-34
    Molex Y splitter (allows powering the cage from the single SATA Hat 4-pin molex)
    Noctua NF-A6x25 5V PWM
    Noctua NF-P12 redux-900 (replaces the fan in the RSV-SATA-Cage-34)

The Seagate specifications document a maximum DC start current of 0.6A@5V and 2.03A@12V totaling 27.34 watts. With 4 of these max will be ~110W, and the converter is rated for 96W. The drives' peak operating DC is 0.74A@5v and 2.35A@12V (31.9W); with 4 of these that's ~128W. (Looks like I need to find a 12V 12A converter! Luckily I haven't had any problems yet.)

Here's the operating spec sheet from seagate for my HDD model (has the DC rating in there): https://www.seagate.com/files/www-conte ... 80701g.pdf
And the datasheet for the same HDD model: https://www.seagate.com/files/www-conte ... -en_US.pdf