Power & Source of Big Ideas

Temperatur of R4S

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hello,

I have been thinking of getting an R4S as my main router, however I'm a bit concern about the temperature, I know the RK3399 can get pretty hot.

I also plan to store it in a drawer with virtually no ventilation, is it possible to use a fan on it? or is the cased version just enough to keep it cool?
You wont get it cooled down. The metal case does not help spread the heat to the ambient air.

I can see that on my NanoPC-T4 with metal case and a PWM cooler on the RK3399......

TL;DR the metal case gets very hot, even with active cooling. Better is to use no metal case but active cooling on the RK3399. That works much better and brings the temperature much better down than passive cooling with a metal case.

It just shows how inefficient the RK3399 is when it produces so much heat. But the RK3318 is much worse on that. A lot of people do have this SoĆ in TV boxes.. the risk of burning your home down because it is so incredible hot that you burn your finger on the additional (!) heat sink.
pakcjo wrote:
Hello,

I have been thinking of getting an R4S as my main router, however I'm a bit concern about the temperature, I know the RK3399 can get pretty hot.

I also plan to store it in a drawer with virtually no ventilation, is it possible to use a fan on it? or is the cased version just enough to keep it cool?

Hi Pakcjo, did you try water cooling as of now yet?

Regards,
Roel Hackett