Power & Source of Big Ideas

Nanopc-t4 kernel 5.xx --> no sound

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hello,

For a new project (we have already buy 10 boards nanoPC-T4 with 11.6 eDP LCD Display)
After tests, if all specifications will be OKAY, the amount volume will be ~400 units

I have try, the Friendly kernel "nanopi4-linux-v4.4.y" from friendlyarm git-hub for my nanoPC-T4 board.
With this kernel version, every thing is fully functionally, video on HDMI, eDP, sound on the board (3.5 jack) and sound on the HDMI panel (3.5 jack on the TFT panel).

Unfortunately, we must work with linux 5.xx for this project.
I have try, your two versions : Friendly kernel "nanop4-r2-v5.10.y" and "nanopi-r2-v5.15.y" from friendlyarm git-hub

For these two kernel versions, there are problems with :
- eDP display output --> NO DISPLAY
- sound on the board : --> NO SOUND
- sound on the HDMI panel --> NO SOUND

to try to understand why with a kernel 4.xx everything works, but not with a kernel 5.xx,
we compared the device tree files.

We have found that,
In kernel 5.xx, all descriptions about the 5651 sound card, HDMI sound card, as well as the backlight, eDP port, touchscreen driver for the eDP 11.6" screen are missing

Please, can you update, your kernel "nanop4-r2-v5.10.y" or "nanopi-r2-v5.15.y" to add all features to enable eDP, sound card, .....

I am waiting for your answer
Best Regards

Hansen Franck
Francky4000 wrote:
to understand why with a kernel 4.xx everything works, but not with a kernel 5.xx
The 4.xx kernel is a heavily hacked legacy kernel fork whose additions have never been submitted to mainline. I am currently running 6.0.0-rc1 on my fully flagged Fedora desktop. I have full functional HDMI, analog sound (3.5 jack) and all video hardware decoders working. It is mainly a question of the correct configuration, the support for it is available in mainline. Regarding eDP, I can't say anything as I've never taken a look at its mainline support but typec-DP works to some extend.