Power & Source of Big Ideas

Can't boot Nanopi from SD anymore

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Faced with strange problems booting from SD cards.
I have 2 Nanopi computers: M4 and R6S, reproducing on both the same way.
I've probably tried all the available images on the official Google Drive for both boards, none of them seems to boot from the SD card.
I've tried both image versions - for booting OS from SD, and eflasher versions.
I also tried different SD cards, there are 6 of them in total.
I prepared SD cards in different ways: on macOS - balenaEtcher and dd, on Windows - win32diskimager.
The symptoms are the same everywhere: R6S, when an SD card is inserted, simply skips booting from it, and automatically booting from eMMC. The M4 freezes when the SD card is inserted and nothing happens: there is no signal on HDMI, the green LED is off, the red LED is on all the time.
At the same time, the booting from eMMC works on both boards. Also, both boards are flashed successfully via "USB images" using a Windows computer and the RKDevTool_Release_v2.84 utility.

I managed to connect to the UART on the M4 board, here is the boot log with the SD card inserted: https://pastebin.com/2FtF8QvN

I remember that a few months ago I successfully flashed both boards using eflasher images, most likely with the same SD cards, and everything worked.

I suspect that something happened to the images in the official Google drive, and now they are all broken.
wf1nder wrote:
Faced with strange problems booting from SD cards.
I have 2 Nanopi computers: M4 and R6S, reproducing on both the same way.
I've probably tried all the available images on the official Google Drive for both boards, none of them seems to boot from the SD card.
I've tried both image versions - for booting OS from SD, and eflasher versions.
I also tried different SD cards, there are 6 of them in total.
I prepared SD cards in different ways: on macOS - balenaEtcher and dd, on Windows - win32diskimager.
The symptoms are the same everywhere: R6S, when an SD card is inserted, simply skips booting from it, and automatically booting from eMMC. The M4 freezes when the SD card is inserted and nothing happens: there is no signal on HDMI, the green LED is off, the red LED is on all the time.
At the same time, the booting from eMMC works on both boards. Also, both boards are flashed successfully via "USB images" using a Windows computer and the RKDevTool_Release_v2.84 utility.

I managed to connect to the UART on the M4 board, here is the boot log with the SD card inserted: https://pastebin.com/2FtF8QvN

I remember that a few months ago I successfully flashed both boards using eflasher images, most likely with the same SD cards, and everything worked.

I suspect that something happened to the images in the official Google drive, and now they are all broken.

Software from HW dealers is on presentation level. If you need a working one, you need to look elsewhere.