Power & Source of Big Ideas

HugePages Support

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hi,

Any chance a distribution can be built with support for hugepages? I've tried Ubuntu, Dietpi, and Armbian, and so far none support hugepages on the NanoPC-T4.

Thanks!
The lubuntu (at least as that's the one I tried) kernel come with hugepage enabled.
But since allocated hugepages cannot be used otherwise, there's no hugepage allocated by default.
To allocate 512 HugePages (2M each, so that's 1GB reserved to hugepages), as root :
echo 512 > /proc/sys/vm/nr_hugepages

if you want that setup to be kept from boot to boot, setup the /etc/sysctl.conf file accordingly with the vm.nr_hugepages keyword.
Current Armbian has enabled hugepages and all other Docker dependencies ... it this is for Docker.

It something is missing, you can recreate the image or kernel in no time.
Thanks for the updates on distributions that support hugepages, though I long ago built a version of Armbian which supported hugepages. It just took a little effort on my part to get VirtualBox setup so I could build it. Hugepages really helps the software I'm running perform better.