Power & Source of Big Ideas

Flashing NanoPi M4 eMMC

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

I have the microSD to eMMC adapter. I've tried flashing the Friendly Desktop sd and eflasher .img files using dd. In both cases, the M4 will boot from the eMMC (green LED blinks), but I get no desktop video. HDMI is putting out a signal of some kind, but my Dell 1080 monitor shows only a blank screen. I can dd the sd image to an sd card and boot that without problem - video works fine on the same monitor.

What is the procedure for writing a Friendly Desktop image to an eMMC card using the microsd to emmc adapter?
To answer my own question: It can't easily be done.

Two options:
Create a boot microsd from the eflasher images, boot that, use the eflasher program to write the emmc
Use a typec image with the Linux_Upgrade_Tool to write the emmc using instructions from the wiki

Untested, but I think once the above methods are used to write an emmc, you could move the emmc to a microsd adapter and capture the image with dd, then use that image to flash additional emmc modules.
I have nano pi neo4 and I am unable to boot it using emmc , with sd card I can boot rk3399-sd-friendlydesktop-bionic-4.4-arm64-20191227.img, could you please elobrate more how can I boot from mmc...?

-Thanks
-Alok
I followed instructions at http://wiki.friendlyarm.com/wiki/index. ... ge_to_eMMC and I used this image rk3399-eflasher-friendlydesktop-bionic-4.4-arm64-20191227.img and it worked

-Thanks
-Alok
here is a quick howto for flashing a Nanopi M4 V2

I did this using a Linux box and a USB TTL serial cable)

1) Download an image from armbian
2) Start a terminal

3) cd to the folder containing your download

4) Unzip your download to extract the *.img file

5) Connect an sdcard or eMMC to your pc ( I used a transcend adapter )

6) Run lsblk to identify your device, in my case it returned /dev/sdc

7) Run mount to ensure it is not mounted and unmount it if necessary ( umount /dev/sdc or umount /dev/sdc1 )

8) Run dd if =NameOfYourImage.img of=/dev/sdc status=progress

9) When completed ( it takes a while ) make a directory to enable you to mount your device ( mkdir /mnt/MyDevice)

10) Run mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/MyDevice

11) nano /mnt/MyDevice/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

12) Add these two lines and save the file

[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no

13) Unmount the device (umount /mnt/MyDevice)

14) Put the device( sdcard or eMMC ) in the M4 - DO NOT APPLY POWER YET !

15) Connect a serial cable to the UART pins on the board and attach the other end to a USB port on your PC

16) Issue this command picocom -b 1500000 /dev/ttyUSB0 ( I'm typing this at work but I think this is correct ) this should connect you to the M4

17) Apply power to the M4 and you should see the boot output

18) Login as root with password 1234 ( you'll be prompted to change the password )

19) Run armbian-config to configure wifi

20) Ensure you have an ip address ( ip a ) and look for wlan0

21) Reboot the M4 having removed the serial cable first.

In my case It all worked - your case may be different.
can someone elobrate more how can I boot from MMC ?