Power & Source of Big Ideas

problem with resizing partition

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

I installed ubuntu on the NanoPi A64 model, downloaded from the official website (google drive) https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... Na5zAJxOnD
version: nanopi-a64_friendlycore-xenial_3.10.65_20180207.img
I'm, trying to resize my partition to the maximum space available, I tried different tools and got the same result. The latest one is growpart. The problem is that all the process seems to work, and the partition size is changed, however when I type df -h, I get the following result:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p2 3.1G 1.2G 1.9G 39% /
devtmpfs 360M 0 360M 0% /dev
tmpfs 489M 0 489M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 489M 20M 470M 4% /run
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 489M 0 489M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1 40M 16M 25M 40% /boot
tmpfs 98M 0 98M 0% /run/user/1000
tmpfs 98M 0 98M 0% /run/user/0

and when I type fdisk -l i get the following:

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 7.4 GiB, 7948206080 bytes, 15523840 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x66dc81bc

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/mmcblk0p1 49152 131071 81920 40M 83 Linux
/dev/mmcblk0p2 131072 15523806 15392735 7.3G 83 Linux

the growpart command result is:

CHANGED: partition=2 start=131072 old: size=7486114 end=7617186 new: size=15392735,end=15523807

of course, I did a reboot, and still didn't help.

any idea what's going wrong?

I'm stuck for 4 days in this part. P.S. this process must be done in a script for our product porpuses.

Thanks for the helpers
you write to wrong place - that's a RockChip Rk3399 Linux, not a A64(I believe, it's a AllWinner - and thats a right place) ;) so it's impossible to check exactly what happens with you disto/board ;)

btw, by default, all disto's for Rk3399(and RPi, and many other boards) expand partition to full SD during first start. If not, it could be some issues with SD-card itself (did you check errors or try another card?).

you may found useful a armbian script to resize sd-card or discussion for one of all-winner boards
Thanks for the redirection to the right forum.
Also for the tips.
This is happening in a few different SD cards so it's not corruption. I investigated more and more and seems that the partition is limited, do you have any idea if this is a realistic option?
RamiX wrote:
I investigated more and more and seems that the partition is limited, do you have any idea if this is a realistic option?

Did you try to resize partition on PC with card-reader? Did you try to use older distro(willy from 20180207)?

Another option(which ) - to compile you own image - you can pre-select a size of

Code: Select all

/(root)
partition to bigger than 4GB by config. (looks like board itself support 128GB cards)
I tried doing that offline on my windows, it also didn't give me the option to increase the size. which is strange, is there any configuration of limiting partition size ?
RamiX wrote:
I tried doing that offline on my windows, it also didn't give me the option to increase the size. which is strange, is there any configuration of limiting partition size ?

not for ext2/3/4 at size around 4GB(it's a fat16 limit).

as I see from wiki, this board\distro don't have a automatic resizing after first boot, but did you try it as described there - via parted and resize2fs ?

just re-read your first comment - you don't mention resize2fs there - did you resize filesystem too, or only a partition?
I think you gave me the hint, as i see the partition is ext4 partition. that's why i can't extend more.
I will try to convert to FAT32 and will see if it will fix that.
I'll update here
RamiX wrote:
I think you gave me the hint, as i see the partition is ext4 partition. that's why i can't extend more.
I will try to convert to FAT32 and will see if it will fix that.
I'll update here

You understand me wrong. Only fat16 have a limit for 4GB from what I remember. ext2/3/4 don't have a limit below few TB
Don't try to convert to anything - ext4 is OK.

once again - did you resize file system after you resize you partition?
Yes i did with resize2fs
This was the result of the command:
Filesystem at /dev/mmcblk0p2 is mounted on /;
on-line resizing required old_desc_blocks = 1, new_desc_blocks = 1 Performing an on-line resize of /dev/mmcblk0p2 to 1924096 (4k) blocks.
I'm attaching a screen shot of the EaseUS Partition Master.
partitionResize.jpg
partitionResize.jpg (57.23 KiB) Viewed 15680 times

Also here i can't extend the size of the partition more than 3.57GB
In this case i guess that nano pi prepared a limited img for this os.
More than that, i see that the partition file system s Other, but in other tool i see it ext3 and when i connect to the sd when it's running on it's machine i see that it's ext4. i believe that the original img file is corrupted. probably someone from NanoPi can help?
RamiX wrote:
More than that, i see that the partition file system s Other, but in other tool i see it ext3 and when i connect to the sd when it's running on it's machine i see that it's ext4.

No, it's not.
But software, which you try to use - not support ext4 correctly.

Why you don't want just to follow instructions for your board and make resize on PC\Linux system?
The instructions is for resizing the SD offline (using windows), I need to resize the SD online in a life cycle milestone the SD achieve. this is a part of mass production where the SD is minimized and maximized only after the customer activates the product. until then it must operate with the minimal size.
That's why i must do that automatically using a script that will do this operation for all products.
RamiX wrote:

you write to wrong place - that's a RockChip Rk3399 Linux, not a A64(I believe, it's a AllWinner - and thats a right place) ;) so it's impossible to check exactly what happens with you disto/board ;)