Power & Source of Big Ideas

How remove support to Qt and video-related stuff

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hi,

I am building a NAS and I don't need video-related stuff. When I apt-update I always get tons of updates regarding mesa or libs or qt.

What are the list of packages safe to delete and have a lean system?

I thought the ubuntu "core" was for servers?

Thanks
mikegleasonjr wrote:
Hi,

I am building a NAS and I don't need video-related stuff. When I apt-update I always get tons of updates regarding mesa or libs or qt.
Then better start here - 100% no meta qt junk:
https://www.armbian.com/download/?tx_maker=friendlyelec
What is Armbian?
https://docs.armbian.com/Quick_facts/#benefits

mikegleasonjr wrote:

Thanks
Perhaps official Ubuntu, which does not exists for any of those boards, except for Raspberry Pi. But even with official builds you never know ... until you find out the hard way ;)
mikegleasonjr wrote:

I can't understand, why you think, for example, that Qt for WebAsm is not server only tech? Which is working via Mesa too.

upd: it's not called a NAS distro. it's just a core;)
ayaromenok wrote:
mikegleasonjr wrote:

I can't understand, why you think, for example, that Qt for WebAsm is not server only tech? Which is working via Mesa too.

upd: it's not called a NAS distro. it's just a core;)

So instead of replying to the question you play with words.. Never said it was a NAS distro btw.

I know you're brighter than that and knew what I meant but here it is in case you missed it: usually "server" and "core" means headless in the distros world. Okay FriendlyElec it is different and I knew it. But there is no "bare" distro and that's why I asked the question... So what packages do you recommend I can uninstall to avoid a plethora of packages to update when I apt update?
mikegleasonjr wrote:
packages to update when I apt update?

FA doesn't provide updates.

I know my opinion is based, but Armbian has many advantages especially when we come to CLI/server cases. Its not just removing stuff which you might not need and only takes some space on your SD card.
mikegleasonjr wrote:
So instead of replying to the question you play with words..

Correct question - is 50% of correct answer.

I highly recommend you to follow IgorP suggestion to use Armbian, but you also can try avafinger version of Ubuntu - it's even smaller, than Armbian (and contain less packages - around 200MB compressed image), but required a bit more of technical knowledge to make it work.
mikegleasonjr wrote:
Hi,

What are the list of packages safe to delete and have a lean system?

Thanks

Its not just removing stuff crossword solver sip calculator epfo which you might not need and only takes some space on your SD card.