Power & Source of Big Ideas

Alienware features on Ubuntu

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hello guys, I've recently switched to Ubuntu and takes me a few days to get the thing working, however I realized that a few function key is not working, ie: the Fn+Volume is working, but the one to toggle touchpad on/off is not, It aslo have the macro keys line on the left not working. Still pretty new to the system so not really comfortable using it, striving to get it better. Bty im using an Alienware 15r3. It's almost certainly a driver issue, at least the touchpad issue sounds like it. I don't know what the solution is, but including "driver" In a search on Google or relevant forums might turn something up.
nikki99 wrote:
Hello guys, I've recently switched to Ubuntu and takes me a few days to get the thing working, however I realized that a few function key is not working, ie: the Fn+Volume is working, but the one to toggle touchpad on/off is not, It aslo have the macro keys line on the left not working. Still pretty new to the system so not really comfortable using it, striving to get it better. Bty im using an Alienware 15r3. It's almost certainly a driver issue, at least the touchpad issue sounds like it. I don't know what the solution is, but including "driver" In a search on Google or relevant forums might turn something up. 19216811-Login

Hi, I've solved the problem you're talking about by writing a simple toggle script. You can trigger your script to work with the Fn + hotkey you want. In this way, you get the solution you want.

Example: https://askubuntu.com/questions/844151/enable-disable-touchpad/844218

Best regards.
Type in the terminal

sudo su
echo 'blacklist i2c_hid' >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
depmod -a
update-initramfs -u

and reboot