Power & Source of Big Ideas

new nanopi m4v2 unable to boot from SD card.

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hi Guys,

I have a new new nanopi m4v2 but unable to boot from micro SDHC card. I used etcher to flash armbian on the microSDHC. I tried both Buster and bionic version.

Even I tried the friendlyarmDesktop that too is not booting. Never ever the green led light blinks only red led glows.

I am new to nanopi m4v2. I followed excatly the same step in armbian website but did not work. Only thing I see difference is my laptop do have have microSDHC card reader hence I used usbcard reader with MicroSDHC adapter.

Can anyone help. I spent whole day. But could not use the board. Please help

Thanks in advance
- different SD card
- different power supply
- no eMMC attached
- correct image (for M4 V2 ,not for M4)
igorp wrote:
- different SD card
- different power supply
- no eMMC attached
- correct image (for M4 V2 ,not for M4)

sorry I did not get you. Are you saying to try different sd card, different power supply?

I dont have different power supply. it came with board 5v 3A and card i have different but not rate A1.

Also Do I need to press any button on the board after power-on (red led). I am not pressing any button on SBC. Actually I do not know if any buttons are there
kanu wrote:
Are you saying to try different sd card, different power supply?

Yes. Just different, to rule out SD card and PSU defects ... At least SD cards are troublesome. Make sure to use images from here: https://www.armbian.com/nanopi-m4-v2/

Does LED lights flashes after a while when you add power?
igorp wrote:
kanu wrote:
Are you saying to try different sd card, different power supply?

Yes. Just different, to rule out SD card and PSU defects ... At least SD cards are troublesome. Make sure to use images from here: https://www.armbian.com/nanopi-m4-v2/

Does LED lights flashes after a while when you add power?

No flashing. its always red. And yes I have downloaded from same link. Also I have checked the sd card with h2testw.exe

I am using windows laptop to flash to sd card
Try. If you have previously recorded to this SD card systems from Frendlyelec or other systems (or the card came with a pre-installed system), you will have to completely erase the SD card before recording Armbian. Systems from Frendlyelec use GPT, which blocks the normal launch of other systems from this SD card.
balbes-150 wrote:
Try. If you have previously recorded to this SD card systems from Frendlyelec or other systems (or the card came with a pre-installed system), you will have to completely erase the SD card before recording Armbian. Systems from Frendlyelec use GPT, which blocks the normal launch of other systems from this SD card.

ok the card was brand new. I checked it but I want to erase it and redo things. Which software should I use to erase the SD card
kanu wrote:
balbes-150 wrote:

ok the card was brand new. I checked it but I want to erase it and redo things. Which software should I use to erase the SD card

It can be failed device, but before going that path, add a serial console and see what you get there and check what can happen:
https://forum.armbian.com/forum/31-sd-c ... su-issues/
igorp wrote:
kanu wrote:
balbes-150 wrote:

It can be failed device, but before going that path, add a serial console and see what you get there and check what can happen:
https://forum.armbian.com/forum/31-sd-c ... su-issues/

what is serial console? can you please help
guys I have been able to make green led flash using different SD card. But do I do ssh. how to find the ip address or hostname of nanopi M4V2
kanu wrote:
guys I have been able to make green led flash using different SD card. But do I do ssh. how to find the ip address or hostname of nanopi M4V2

Now proceed with manual: https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/ and act upon it.
igorp wrote:
kanu wrote:

Now proceed with manual: https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/ and act upon it.

I am again stuck. I was able to login with SSH using a different card but then I thought I will flash bionic in SD card. I did so but it did not work. I again went back and flashed buster now even that doesn't work.

The second card was working with buster first time but after re-flash with bionic it stopped working even now I flash with Buster. What can be the reason?
Hi,

Can anyone guide or help me what can be wrong. I have been struggling whole day.
Do you have TTL to USB serial adapter?

Seriously, this should be top of the list of haves for anyone working with modules such as this. It will give you much more information about what is happening during the boot cycle etc.
v8dave wrote:
Do you have TTL to USB serial adapter?

Seriously, this should be top of the list of haves for anyone working with modules such as this. It will give you much more information about what is happening during the boot cycle etc.

Thank you so much for the response. I do not have it now. But will buy now. Anything else you thing I should have as a must have. I am thinking to have serious affairs with SBC's so you may suggest the must have's