Power & Source of Big Ideas

Android with landscape mode on eDP display

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

If anyone is interested, I have built a custom Android OS that supports landscape display on the 7" eDP display with the Nano PC T4.

The source is hosted on GITLAB and if you follow the instructions in the Wiki to build Android, you can swap the download link with mine to get the updated code.

Please note that it has custom graphics for the boot logo etc so you will likely have to replace a few things if you want to change these.

The landscape support for the touch is hard coded as I have not found a fix for auto detection of the rotation so any attempt to use portrait with this build will not rotate the touch. I will find the fix for this and post it at some point. For my project I always run in landscape so this is not an issue for me.

https://gitlab.com/davemclaughlin/rk3399-android-8.1
Could you detail What changes have you made?
I didn't jot them all down as I was doing the work (I know, ny bad) but this is a list that I can remember.

Changes to support Landscape more for the boot animation and have the UI in landscape. Still an issue with the initial stage of the boot animation that I have not tracked down but as it doesn't affect the operation once the boot completes, I will live with it for now.

Change the boot animation

Included AmazeFileManager in the build

Removed a number of FriendlyArm test programmes

Added RIL for SIMCOM7600E modem. Still has an issue with messages over 160 characters and SIMCOM looking into this.

Removed the URL that is used to check for Internet presence as this was causing the PPP connection to fail. Needs alternative but works without.

If I can recall all the changes, I will document them here.
Wow! An amazing contribution! I will be checking it out!

Question: does this build have root access?

Seriously, thank you.
Daitaro wrote:
Wow! An amazing contribution! I will be checking it out!

Question: does this build have root access?

Seriously, thank you.

Let me know if you can compile it without errors. I have been able to clone it with another VM machine but cannot build it. I am trying to work out of this is a GITLAB upload issue or I am missing some files from the original source on my machine.
Great, to see that eDP is working with Android!

I try to connect a 14.5 inch eDP-panel with Backlight and Touchscreen to my NanoPC-T4.

Any idea which files i have to change, to get started?

Thank you!
Tiemichael wrote:
Great, to see that eDP is working with Android!

I try to connect a 14.5 inch eDP-panel with Backlight and Touchscreen to my NanoPC-T4.

Any idea which files i have to change, to get started?

Thank you!

I think all the changes you need to do are in the kernel and to do with timing and to bypass the automatic detection that FriendlyArm uses to detect which LCD is connected. If you search for HD702 in the kernel source you should find all of the timing information and hopefully this narrows down the place where you need to do the work to get your LCD working.
Thanks!

I checked the entire development tree, but could not find any file or directory containing 'HD702'
Tiemichael wrote:
Thanks!

I checked the entire development tree, but could not find any file or directory containing 'HD702'

Search for a file called panel-friendlyelec.c in the kernel directory. HD702 is located in that file.

I use Sagasu to do the search in files. Handy little program. ;)

This assumes you are using the RK339 Android build source. All the settings you need are in there. Hopefully, this will be the file you need to make the changes for your LCD panel.
Found it!
Thanks for your help!
Tiemichael wrote:
Found it!
Thanks for your help!

Welcome. If you fork the source and make the changes to add your LCD and it all works, would be great if you could post it online.