Power & Source of Big Ideas

Baking in 3G/etc modem drivers

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hello all,

I'm trying to bake in drivers for a Sierra MC8775 sim modem using a pci-e to USB adapter.

Does anyone have some insight/suggestions as to how I would start this project using Android 8 fully rooted?

Also, does anyone know of a way to interface a sim module using something other than pppwidget? I would be open to writing/running a script to initialize and dial out on boot. Currently the USB widget is a very clunky way of doing it.

All help is appreciated.

Thank you
Perhaps there is someone else working on this who can offer some unique suggestions I might not have thought of yet?
I've done this with a USB connected SIM7100 modem from Simcom. They provided the RIL for this. You then need to add this into your Android source and build it. After this, Android will detect the modem when plugged in and load the RIL driver.

Try and see if the modem manufacturer has a suitable Android RIL for it first otherwise you will have to use a generic RIL for this. Sierra Wireless offers a number of RIL's for Android along with documentation on how to integrate this into the build.