Power & Source of Big Ideas

R2S boot freezes when network is attached

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

I have the R2S with metal case for almost 2 years. It worked fine for a long time but last couple of months it started to freeze. I use only the wan port since I don't do routing with it, I use it to host some docker images for pihole, and nextcloud (not fast but works fine with external HD).
I opened the case and connected the serial console and I noticed it freezes after network startup. If I remove the network cable, it boots fine. This happens with older and newer armbian images, as well as with the linux image provided by friendlyelec. Strangely, I did not see this problem with openwrt image.

Do anyone has similar issue? Is this a hardware failure? Maybe need a firmware update?

I posted what I did so far, with armbian, in the armbian forum:
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/23159-n ... -freezing/
So far, OpenWRT is running without any issues. I suppose hardware is fine. So far I could not find where the problem is.Will keep using it with OpenWRT as my knowledge to find and fix the problem is limited.
Actually OpenWRT has a watchdog that automatically resets the device when it freezes. Eventually it works. Since all OS are presenting the problem, even older versions that used to work, I believe the issue is actually on the hardware.