Power & Source of Big Ideas

FriendlyWRT vs OpenWRT

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hi,

I find the FriendlyARM HW quite charming but can't figure out when it would be better to use FriendlyWRT and when OpenWRT. What are the main differences and what are good reasons to choose one over the other?

If I'm correct FriendlyARM always forks off a OpenWRT Release branch (now 19.7.1) and adds or changes some (what exactly?) parts which are then released as FriendlyWRT. With the support for e.g. NanoPi R2S in OpenWRT 19.7.4 and snapshots are there any good reasons to stick with FriendlyARM?

Thanks in advance,
Mischa
The most recent revision of FriendlyWRT was giving me issues recently and that was why I switched to OpenWRT.
My issue was that it would stop passing traffic. That being said, I think OpenWRT's DHCP seems to have issues after a while. I have only had mine for 2 days, so I haven't dug in yet.

I do think that FriendlyWRT has the drivers baked in for the wireless card I have (CF-912AC) I forget the chip in it. So I miss that. I will be tinkering with them both and pick what one works best.

FriendlyWRT also has some other modules pre-loaded (like docker)