Power & Source of Big Ideas

Forum Support to common issues

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

I'm Interested in buying a Friendly Elec product (CM3588 NAS kit)

Mostly before I buy anything, I check if support is even there. And with 'support' I mean support from the developers.

I've noticed tons of user reads in a various topics and a few good answers by forum members, but replies to common problems/issues from the people who actually make the hardware, seem absent, leaving the buyer in the dark.

What are your experiences?
Hi,

I found very few support to be honnest.
Neverthelss by using the available data and what is available for othr RK3588 board, I have no blocking point at the moment.

This board is really good with openmediavault ;)
Actually, combined with CasaOS, it's even better. (just do a 'curl -fsSL https://get.casaos.io | bash' from your root login)
Lots of docker add-ons available out of the box, making it much more versatile! Just try it.

The CM3588 caught my eye because it can host 4 NVMe SSD's. No need for Internal/external Sata drives anymore...
Just don't want to stumble on incompatibility issues and if there are, these support forums are the best source to solve them (if there's any support to speak of)

You've got 4 drives installed. What brand are they and if need which compatible ones to choose?
Lexar NM620 2TB or Lexar NM710 2TB seem like a good deal.

No problem with power-draw or heat?
Hi,

I installed casaos over openmediavault : I have the benefit of both then ;)

The heat could be high but with a 40mm fan I get 35°C in normal conditions. I can remember the T°C in full load.

For the NVME I bought cheap one on Amazon : FIKWOT FN501 pro : 4x2To : keep in mind that we have only one line of Pcie so do not except more speed than an SSD.

Now starting to learn OpenScad to build the casing : see the other post on the casing :)
Do you have those in a RAID setup or as separate drives?

Yes...The case! For other models cases are ready available. Shouldn't it be long before there's a case for the CM3588?

Here's some interesting about NAS usage with an RK3588: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/t ... e.1340466/
I use snapraid and mergerfs. I think for the usage I have it is more than enough.