Power & Source of Big Ideas

R6C - Debian - How To Move Root Partition to SSD?

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Is there a HOWTO anywhere for moving the root partition to the SSD under Debian?

I have flashed Debian (rk3588-eflasher-debian-bullseye-minimal-6.1-arm64-20240131.img) to the eMMC. I have used dd to copy the root partition from the eMMC to the SSD. What changes do I need to make so that at startup it will load the root partition from the SSD instead of the eMMC?
erik wrote:
Is there a HOWTO anywhere for moving the root partition to the SSD under Debian?

I have flashed Debian (rk3588-eflasher-debian-bullseye-minimal-6.1-arm64-20240131.img) to the eMMC. I have used dd to copy the root partition from the eMMC to the SSD. What changes do I need to make so that at startup it will load the root partition from the SSD instead of the eMMC?

With Armbian, its always https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-install-to-emmc-sata-nvme-usb.
To boot Debian from the SSD instead of the eMMC, you'll need to update the bootloader configuration. Typically, this involves modifying the boot parameters in the bootloader configuration file to point to the new root partition on the SSD.x trench runDepending on your bootloader (e.g., GRUB, U-Boot), the specific steps may vary. Check the documentation for your bootloader to find instructions on how to update the root partition configuration. Once you've made the necessary changes, reboot your system, and it should boot from the SSD.