Power & Source of Big Ideas

Can't set display rotation for portrait

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hello,

I have a new NanoPC-T6 and I just re-flashed it with the latest version of Debian 11 you have on the Google drive (Debian full desktop, 6.1, date of 20240117).

After the fresh flash, I didn't do anything else (meaning I didn't install any other hardware or apps yet), it is a fresh install.

I am plugged in to HDMI-1 with a Dell monitor that supports 1920x1080. The desktop by default, looks just fine at that resolution.

However, I want to rotate the desktop left or right to make it in portrait mode. I am doing this by going to Settings > Display. In that dialog, I see the Resolution combo box and it is set to 1920x1080. There is no option for 1080x1920 (not sure if that is needed for portrait mode).

I then change the Rotation combo box to either left or right. In both cases, the screen goes black, I don't see the desktop anymore. Then, after a few seconds, it will revert (because I did not click to keep changes since I couldn't see it). If I do normal or inverted, it works just fine with one of them right side and the other upside down. But again, I cannot rotate it left or right and see the desktop, just the black screen.

Can you tell me what I am missing to make this happen please?

Thanks!
I think you probably need to setup the screen for that resolution. Here is an example :

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/680005/rotating-display-on-debian-buster-from-cli